Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think one of my plugs is irritating me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think one of my plugs is irritating me.

I have plugs top and bottom after Lasik, inserted by my Lasik surgeon.

My new DE Dr. who is great has explained to me the issue surrounding the us of plugs for those with MGD and ocular rosacea, and we have discussed getting the plugs out some time in the future, and I believe that time has come.

The thing is I am feeling the bottom one is irritating me. The triangle of flesh that is between the eyeball and the nose is often very red, and often feels like it is being tickled with the top of a q-tip, not just the triangle of flesh but that general area of my eye. Other times it just feels like it is applying pressure to my eye. I have never had allergies but sometimes, not very often, but sometimes my lower eye lid gets crazy itchy...I leave it be but boy would I love to give it a good sctrach. This isn't always the case, just sometimes.

The last week or so when I look in the mirror I have noticed that about 1/4 inch below where the plug is placed the flesh on my face is puffy and a little red. The area is only about the size of a finger tip but its noticable enough that those close to me have noticed it and said it to me. Is this type of thing noraml with plugs? Anyone else had this experience. This is what I am most concerned about, and am motivated to have it removed because of this. I guess I am nervous there is something going on with my tear duct.

The plug has been in a year and I am meeting my Dr. next week to get it out.

I'm nervous about making things worse rather than better. Has any MGD or ocular rosacea members out there had a plug taken out...how did you feel afterwards?

Bernadette

I had dissolvable plugs that irritated the heck out of my lids while they were in. With the plugs in, the area around my punctum was red and raised, and very uncomfortable. My eyes also felt like they had bad allergies those couple weeks they were in, which is not normal for me. Once they dissolved and were gone, the irritation of my lids died down to baseline irritation. I have mgd and ocular rosacea and my current doc also told me that plugs will not help someone who is not aqueous deficient, which is me (for the most part...well, i'm borderline). One caveat that coincided with my experience with plugs that probably contributed to the increase in the discomfort of my eyes: I was also going through an extremely stressful time of my life.

If taking out the plugs makes you feel worse, you can always get them put back in. That's the great thing about plugs . Good luck!

Comment

I never felt any difference with one, two, three or four plugs. If the plug is irritating you, it should be removed as soon as possible. It's obviously the wrong type of plug for you.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Plugs never really irritated me either. But I could tell that they were there because if I roll my eye up and to the side I could feel the plugs in the corners. It was a good check to make sure they didn't fall out. What bothers me is plugs are a temporary fix and not fixing the root of the problem, unless you have an actual chronic disease causing the DES. Good luck!

Comment

My doc said that I should not be feeling the plug when looking down and/or to the right. He said the plug was sitting crooked and that is what made me feel it. He said that type of plug did not fit me properly and was not the right kind of plug for me, so he removed it.
          Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

bernmee
            It sounds like a granuloma. I would try to see doctor sooner than later.

Comment

My plugs (Lower) are irritating to me most of the time too. They seem to itch. My right one fell out a few days ago and honestly I can't tell that much of a difference without it!

Except I noticed that in the morning the side with the plug still in is slightly puffy. This side doesn't itch as much but it's also my drier eye. I don't know if plugs are right for me? I'm going back in a few weeks and my guess is the lost plug will be replaced.

Comment

Working...
              X