Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contemplating Cautery

Hi All:

I've been quadra plugged for a couple of months now. Can't say I see a drastic improvement but it hasn't hurt. I do get a little drippy from time to time but it is nice since I thought I didn't produce any tears at all. The problem is my plugs keep falling out. There the ones with the cap since my MD doesn't believe in the intracranilar type. I am contemplating cautery. Now I know no one can make the decision for me but here's my question. How easy/hard is it to open the punctum once the have been sealed. My hesistation (and it may sound crazy) is that they find some magical cure and my eyes will start to tear like crazy and I'll be stuck with sealed punctum. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

K
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

K-When you have cauterization done, you should expect it to be permanent. That doesn't necessarily mean it will be permanent, as it can come undone. It's unpredictable whether it will or not. It may have to be redone, sometimes several times. Depends on how you heal.

Another suggestion is: if you go for cautery, get only two done, not four. Possibly the lower two cauterized and the uppers with plugs. I know a few have all 4 cauterized, but I think you should only try two, expecially at first.

There's my 2 cents. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Good advice

That's good advice Lucy. I have 2 cauterized and 2 plugged. This was done over 5 years ago. I've had them checked a couple of times to see if they are still plugged. I have Sjogren's and really dry eyes. I was advised to do two of them and if it wasn't enough after awhile, then I could do the other two. It seems that it is better to go cautiously. I still have to do drops and I sleep in the tranquileye goggles. But at least I can live with the dryness.

Billye

Comment

cautery

I've had all 4 tear ducts cauterized; twice. I've had dry eyes my whole life. I tried the plugs w/o success. The first time I had my ducts cauterized was in my late 20s; about 10 years later, I noticed when I put eye drops in, I could taste them. My opthomologist said the ducts had re-opened. I had them cauterized again (it's been about 9 yrs now). It was a simple procedure both times. I was a little worried when they were first done because for the first few days, my eyes were watering like crazy, but that stops.

I highly recommend it!

Comment

Working...
        X