Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• punctal plugs question

hi all

i've had punctal plugs for about 2 months and it was heaven!!
    until 2 days ago!
    now they're completely dry again.
    i wondered if anyone had had that experience and if they know why that happens??
    thanks!!
    betty

Are you sure your plugs are still in place??? They have a tendency to fall out or fall in. That was my experience with plugs and eventually went to cautery. Cautery is a struggle too unless it's done right.

Comment

punctal plugs

Originally posted by djb View Post
      Are you sure your plugs are still in place??? They have a tendency to fall out or fall in. That was my experience with plugs and eventually went to cautery. Cautery is a struggle too unless it's done right.

thanks for your response! (sometimes i feel like i'm the only person in the world with this hideous condition). yes, i can still feel them in my lids so i know they're there.
      thanks, betty

Comment

I know what you mean when you say "heaven" when it comes to plugging up the drainage ducts. My upper left punctal opening has reopened again after cautery and my eye is really bothering me. Two local docs won't touch it and I'm not sure what avenue to take to close it back up. Next time you see the doctor, I would have him check your plugs to see if they are there or not.

Comment

punctal plugs

thanks...i feel that they're still there because i can feel them but maybe they've somehow repositioned themselves.
          thanks for the advice.
          i wonder if you could find a good doctor from the pages where people recommend them. where do you live?
          ttys, betty

I know what you mean when you say "heaven" when it
          comes to plugging up the drainage ducts. My upper left punctal opening has reopened again after cautery and my eye is really bothering me. Two local docs won't touch it and I'm not sure what avenue to take to close it back up. Next time you see the doctor, I would have him check your plugs to see if they are there or not.

Comment

I'm from Baltimore, MD, but I traveled to Dr. Tseng in Miami to get the cautery done right. A local doc cauterized me several times, lacerated my upper left punctum, and then lied to me that they were all closed when they were open. I may end up in Miami again, unless I find a skilled doctor who could help me close it up. Maybe a plastic surgeon could help me??? One thing I remember when I had plugs was that the plugs had to be secure right at the opening for them to be effective for me. If they traveled in the canal, my eyes got worst.

Comment

punctal plugs

hi
              that's a good point..they might still be there..but somehow have moved a little bit.
              thanks, betty

I'm from Baltimore, MD, but I traveled to Dr. Tseng in Miami to get the cautery done right. A local doc cauterized me several times, lacerated my upper left punctum, and then lied to me that they were all closed when they were open. I may end up in Miami again, unless I find a skilled doctor who could help me close it up. Maybe a plastic surgeon could help me??? One thing I remember when I had plugs was that the plugs had to be secure right at the opening for them to be effective for me. If they traveled in the canal, my eyes got worst.

Comment

Can punctal plugs be used after cautery? I had a surgeon cauterize mine saying that it would probably open up again in about a month. I'd prefer plugs to a perminant cauterization.

Comment

If your doctor says they will open in a month after he cauterizes them, then see another doctor. I have three out of four punctum closed for over five years. The only reason the one opened was due to a different doctor lacerating it. I guess plugs could work if they reopened, if they will stay put. Your punctal opening may change shape after cautery due to the scarring. Plugs may or may not fit??? I went to cautery because I couldn't keep any plugs in place.

Comment

Hi Betty,

I have plugs too and at first noticed a great deal of relief but over time that has diminished. Unfortunately I think that's just the way it is and I remember reading something to that effect too. If I can find it, I'll post the link.

Alison

Comment

punctal plugs

thanks for warning me.
                      i'm very disappointed because no one ever told me that the relief was temporary. so..now, i'll keep that in mind.
                      does it still give you any relief or are you back to square one?
                      thanks, betty

Originally posted by alisonW View Post
                      I have plugs too and at first noticed a great deal of relief but over time that has diminished. Unfortunately I think that's just the way it is and I remember reading something to that effect too. If I can find it, I'll post the link.

Alison

Comment

I have had 3 for over a year now and I have never noticed any reduction in relief. I cannot feel or see them, but the doctor was able to see them with his machine.

Comment

Not necessarily temporary

I have been plugged in all 4 punctum for 16 months. Initially the over tearing was maddening. One day (literally, one day) after having over tearing for 8 or 9 months it eased up. My left eye still weeps a bit. Sometimes that weeping does bug me. My right does not weep at all now. Both are more comfortable than before I had the upper plugs put in. When my left eye is most comfortable and not weeping, my right feels a bit dry. When my right eye is most comfortable, the over tearing is more substantial in the left. I think I may have lost an upper plug in the right eye, I'm not sure.

It's just something I have to manage either way. I find a drop of genteal moderate dry eye drops are helping quite a bit now when that right eye does feel dry to the point it bugs me. I was preferring systane, now I like the genteal drops better. It's all about coping.

My point is, it can take many months to see where the plugs will lead you, give it time. If I had had my uppers irrigated out in the first 8 months I would not have known the weeping would settle down. Don't be discouraged though thinking the benefits of plugging/cautery are only temporary. Yes the eyes tend to ease up on their tearing a bit after a while but in most cases I read that is still better than what the person had to begin with.

Comment

LasikLady says it right! I get tired of typing the same thing all the time. Now, I can just cut and paste her response. If you get too anxious to have plugs "removed" because you don't like the epiphora (I love that word), it can change on a dime. Listen to LasikLady. Lucy
                            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Aww thanks Lucy!
                              I remember asking the same question early on in my plugging experience. You were one of the ones that gave me these answers in the first place. And you were right!!

Comment

Working...
                              X