Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting plugs Thurs.-which are best?

Hi all,
    I see my optham. this Thursday for punctal plugs. Last month I tried the temporary ones that dissolve and I think they did make a difference. Can anyone advise about what kind of "permanent" plugs they have found most helpful? I read Dr. Latkany's info and the ones that go deep into the cannicula seem kind of scary to me though they may be more effective. I read that the Smart Plugs are not as effective as some others. Any advice from you people who know are the real experts? My opthamologist gives me about 2.5 minutes to give my opinion so I want to be on my toes!
    Thanks a million!
    Erika

The best plug is the one that works best for you, a decision made between you and your doctor.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by ianteddy View Post
      My opthamologist gives me about 2.5 minutes to give my opinion so I want to be on my toes!
      Just a suggestion: If you don't get sufficient opportunity to talk with your doctor, write up your concerns and goals for the appointment on a 1-pager and fax it to them a day or so before the appointment. I think most doctors actually find that very helpful. That way you get a chance to really organize your thoughts and present them concisely without all the stress of cramming the critical information into the limited seconds in the chair.

Individual experiences are all over the map. Personally I'd probably tell the doctor I'd read about several types of plugs and ask which he's got the best experience with.

Helpful also to keep in mind that doctors think differently about plugs than patients... they are probably going to be thinking more about insertion process and about what a patient's eyes look like 3 months later, while patients are going to be thinking most about how they feel in the first few hours and days after insertion.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

I will have to chime in on this one...

I know by experience you don't want SmartPlugs
        No plug is really "permanent" maybe semi-permanent

I have noted in previous messages about my experience with SmartPlugs
        and if I can save someone the hassle and pain I will...

My right plug got infected last years (lasted 3 years (got them inserted in 2004) and then my left one got infected just about a month ago now (lasted 4 years).

The doc that had put them in didn't even figure out what was wrong when my first one got infected ~ it took me three months of searching until I came across this doc who figured it out. By then my vision had decreased as I was walking around with an infected plug/tear duct for 3 months.

I know everyone has opinions and I did go through this personally. The only thing "permanent" though it is revesable so I'm not sure permenent is even the correct word for this ~ but cauterizing would be a more permanent option..

If I were you ~ I'd ask for temporary plugs (they are made out of collagen and melt within 5 to 7 days) just to see how it goes. Then make your decision from there. Sometimes if you don't have enough tears plugs aren't even going to help anyway (from experience also )

~ just my 2 cents worth... (smile)

Best wishes on making your decision.

Comment

i got smart plugs put in and haven't had any problems but they don't work as well as regular umbrella type of plugs--i ended up going and getting umbrella plugs ontop of them! the umbrella are the best even though they can fall out more easily. they totally block all the tears from draining.. i love them!
          Jenny

Comment

Thanks for the responses!

I really appreciate all of your comments on the plug issue.
            Have a great day.
            Erika

Comment

Originally posted by jenny2008 View Post
              i got smart plugs put in and haven't had any problems but they don't work as well as regular umbrella type of plugs--i ended up going and getting umbrella plugs ontop of them! the umbrella are the best even though they can fall out more easily. they totally block all the tears from draining.. i love them!
              Hey Jenny ~ have you thought about having your tear ducts cauterized? If you have thought about it and are against it what are your thoughts?

Just wondering ~ that is an option that was given to me, but I'm afraid since I've been through lots of craziness already. I'm in one of those "if it can go wrong it will" categories.
              Thank you

Comment

Yeah me too... My doctor said i could get caut but said it is permanent.. I am scared if I did it they would reopen partially and then it would be hard to have a plug put in or that I would get a lot of scar tissue.. i am good with plugs for now..
                Jenny

Comment

Thank you Jenny.
                  I'm so glad you can use plugs. They didn't work out for me at all. Yeah I didn't think of scar tissue, yikes!

Comment

Working...
                  X