• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cautery

Hi all,

It is my first post in this site

I had dryness after my lasik Apr 2008

I try several tears but didn't work well and made my eye more dry

I stopped drops and try fish oil and after 2 weeks I felt little good but not before op

now I want to cautery my two lower punctual and I hope forget my dryness for ever

so can who tried cautery tell me his\her experience

thanx

Welcome to the site. I'm sorry you're struggling with dry eyes and with finding a good treatment.

Cautery is one option, but it seems like an extreme step. I'd recommend that you try punctal plugs first to see if they help. (You can do a search on that topic -- there is a lot of info here about them.)

Do you have a good, definite diagnosis, i.e. do you know what is making your eyes dry? Are you not producing enough tears (plugs or cautery may help, or Restasis, if you can get it)? Are your oil glands clogged (also called MGD or posterior blepharitis, and warm compresses and lid washes and omega-3 supplements can help).

The more information you have, the better to make an informed decision, and there are still lots of things you can try.

I know that dianat had all four of her puncta cauterized. She is currently away from DEZ (on "maternity leave"), but maybe she has written about her experiences here before. You could do a search for that, too.

Good luck!
    Teri

Comment

thanx

T H A N K Y U O T e r i

Ass you talked cautery is an extreme step

but it is my last step

I tried all options else plugs but no relife

I am not producing enough tears

I think plugs maybe same result to cautery but they are bothersome And they make delusive amount of tears because they rubbing the cornea so I won't try them

I think cautery the two lower punctual only will not cause flood

what do you think

Thank you all

Comment

Well, the only real concern I'd have about trying cautery without trying plugs is that you may end up with an "overflow" situation. It sounds like that will not happen in your case.

There are "intercanalicular" plugs that sit completely inside the duct and will not rub on your cornea. They are, I think, considered permanent, although they can be flushed out. Some people do not have problems with the other kind of plug (the kind with a "mushroom cap" that you can see), although I had them and got tired of being constantly poked in the eye.

If you click on "Search" and search threads for "cautery" you'll get lots of hits and lots of information.

Honestly, I wish I could have my lower ducts cauterized, but I am too afraid to let someone near my eye with a soldering iron (or whatever they use!).
        And I'm pretty sure the intercanalicular plugs I have are working, and they are comfortable.

Make sure your doctor is experienced with this procedure and good luck! I hope it gives you some relief.

Teri

P.S. Also, if you are not producing enough tears, consider Restasis (cyclosporine-A eye drops), if you can get it -- I'm not sure what countries it is available in or how you might obtain it. It can really help some people, and it has helped me tremendously. It is a prescription eye drop in the states.

Comment

my cautery story

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...hlight=cautery
          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Working...
          X