Plugs and Restasis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugs and Restasis

So sorry if this has already been addressed. I wasn't sure where to look.

I read on the RESTASIS site that it has not been proven effective in people with plugs or who use topical steroids. I have lower plugs and was told to use Lotemax 10 minutes prior to Restasis to minimize the burning.

I am quite frustrated that I am doing all this and it may not even be helping at all! So tired of Drs. not knowing what they are doing when it comes to dry eye.

I don't want to stop the Restasis if there is a chance it could help as I have a month in. But, sometimes I feel that it causes further irritation. The plugs seem to help somewhat at times. I have actually had a schirmer of 20 since I've had them. Other times I am completely dry. I believe I have low tear production and MGD (evaporative tears).

Anybody have any advice in regards to this?

There are many who do use Restasis with plugs with success. I believe the website has said this since the inception of Restasis. I surely wouldn't pass up the chance to use Restasis if I had plugs. I have plugs but Restasis did not help me in two separate trials, one six weeks and the other seven months. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Sabrina,
      The actual FDA submission where Restasis was approved shows that the ONLY two groups that showed significant data favoring approval were the two groups with plugs. So if you already have plugs and are using Restasis you have the best chance of it working.

Comment

Hi

Here in the UK we can't get hold of Restasis very easily but I still watch out for people's experiences. The business of punctal plugs confuses me because of what it states on the Restasis website - this has already been alluded to by Sabrina.

There are no contraindications with using RESTASIS® Ophthalmic Emulsion with patients who have punctal plugs. Increased tear production was not seen in patients currently taking topical anti-inflammatory drugs or using punctal plugs.

Is this statement misleading or have I not understood it properly?

Comment

Irisheyes
          Go to this link, it is the actual submission that was approved by the FDA. Go to page 26 and read the two groups that showed improvement. Your welcome to read all 146 pages but this was the money page. In the previous four attempts patients were excluded from the study that had plugs inserted.

http://www.fdarestasisdata.org/

So after reading this you can decide on your own how "misleading" the information is. I can tell you this, other independent physicians have reviewed their clinical data and found that Restasis, when it works, works better with plugs.

Comment

I will do that.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
            X