Post-LASIK People: Do Plugs Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-LASIK People: Do Plugs Help?

Calling all post-LASIK (or RS) peeps: Do plugs help?

I am considering plugs, don't like the "invasiveness" of them (even though I've had my corneas lasered, go figure) but would like to know, did they bump you up to a manageable level or leave you feeling ripped off?!

Thank you!!
    Rose

Originally posted by Sammy Bolivia View Post
    Calling all post-LASIK (or RS) peeps: Do plugs help?
    Yes.
    No.
    Sometimes.
    My eyes got horribly inflamed when I was plugged. Couldn't stand it and had 'em yanked 2 days later.
    Lowers yes, all 4 makes it worse.
    All 4 only.
    Yes but I get too much tear overflow.
    Yes and the tear overflow is worth it.
    No, but cautery does.
    Yes but they keep falling out.
    Works great if I have the lowers plugged and flow controllers in the uppers.
    Yes but they pinch too much.
    No and I had a horrible complication when the plugs migrated and I needed 4 surgeries to get it fixed.

Did I miss anybody?

There are probably hundreds of post RS plug experiences posted here in the archives (not that they're all obviously about post RS though) and they run the gamut from yes to no.......

p.s. In my personal case, "no".
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

So I guess it's like any other dry eye treatment available to us: the experience is very specific from person to person!

Thank you, Rebecca!

Rose

Comment

What's the test score for plugs

When should one use plugs? I mean my doctor always says that my schirmer result is not low enouge to get plugs.

Comment

Accourding to Aetna (my insurance carrier) a "Schirmer test of 5 or less would make punctual occlusion a payable therapy." And of course our insurance company always knows best....right?

Comment

Not really sure if mine are helping and the one in my right eye seems to be rubing against the white of my eye, very bothersome. Maybe I need to get the right one pulled for a few days to see how the eye feels, not sure if its doing more harm then good.

Comment

Plugs I feel were the single most important thing for my reaching a level of comfort. I remember the night they were first put in. It was just the bottoms but suddenly the intense discomfort was beginning to be alleviated. This was just a few weeks post lasik. Getting the uppers done helped a lot too, even though I have some weeping in the left eye and still occassional dryness in the right they really helped in my case.

Comment

Working...
              X