Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you know if it is starting to work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you know if it is starting to work?

For those of you who have had success with Restasis, would you please share what you felt were your first signs of improvement (related to the drug) and how long you had been on Restasis when you first noticed this improvement?
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

It took six to eight months for me to notice a difference. My eyes looked wetter and were less irritated at night and when out and about.

Comment

It took me probably about 6 to 8 months as well to start noticing a difference, although, I've been using Restasis for about 15 months now, and am still hoping I'll continue to experience improvements.
      -Amy

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I'm not sure I can hold out that long. I actually had a few days early this week where the burning was much improved. I even skipped the GenTeal Gel last night, thinking to myself that maybe the Restasis was starting to have an effect. Then bammo, out of the blue, a severe flare today. It hit right after Restasis this morning and just got worse through the day. I have been using Restasis for nearly one month now. I think I do have fewer really bad days and fewer episodes of photosensitivity, but whether that is due to Restasis or life style change, one can only guess. The only thing I really notice is that the side effects (burning, watering, itching, foreign body sensation) seem to last a bit longer with each use. When I first started it, I had no side effects. Within a few days it was just a brief burning, relieved by drops put in 15 minutes later. Now I have several side effects than can last 1 to 3 hours whether I use drops before and after or not. I will see my eye doctor in a week and will be interested to hear what he has to say.
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I would think that it would take longer than a month to start experiencing relief, although I could be wrong- everyone's eyes are different. Also, although I saw relief starting about after 6 months of use, it in no way decreased my problems completely. It just really helped with some of the sharp eye pain, foreign body sensation, and burning that i experience. it also helps to flush out the mucus. I can't say that I have experienced any of the side effects you are experiencing (knock on wood), but it seems like it would definately be hard waiting for the results of Restasis with all the side effects you are experiencing. Try to keep it up though, and just keep in mind that noticing the results Restasis can provide may take longer than you think so be patient. Good luck!
          -Amy

Comment

Hi Kitty,

I have been on Restasis for about two years now. I have to say that for me (age related? I am 47) it took probably a year or so for me to say I actually noticed any difference. The best way I can describe it is my vision use to fluctuate considerably and I could not even read a page in a book. I noticed one day it seemed to be more stable as I could read more comfortably. I agree with Amy09 it did not resolve all my problems (it is not perfect). I still get fluctuations but early on I was asking for any kind of relief and I am thankful for what I currently have althought there is always room for improvement.
            Jeff

Comment

Good news, and bad...

Just thought I would follow up. After 31 days on Restasis, the only improvement I noticed was a reduction in photophobia. I have not worn sunglasses in my office for about 3 weeks. Unfortunately, over the last two weeks the Restasis has increasingly caused my dry eye symptoms (including photophobia) to flare for as much as two hours after instilling the drops. So, I suffer up to 4 hours per day to get about 8 hours per day less of photophobia. Long story short, my eye doctor said I am developing a sensitivity to Restasis, diagnosed by the fact that the first two weeks on the drug felt better than the last two weeks on the drug, side-effect wise. I am off Restasis and awaiting the insurance company to give the OK to try the plugs. Too bad I can't Swap the leftovers of the Restasis. The sealed vials should make good cat toys as long as they don't try to chew through it. Better idea, I will empty the vials before giving them to the cats to play with!

Comment

Restasis

I developed a sensitivity to the Restasis too. I would put it in first thing in the morning, burn for about 4 hours or so, then just as the burning was starting to stop, it would be time for the evening dose. That meant about 4 more hours of burning and I just couldn't stand it. It would make it impossible to get to sleep. After 4 months of this and no improvement, I finally gave up.

Last night I saw the Restasis commercial with the girl that looks like Kyle. All I could think about was "where were her sunglasses and how on earth did she drive in that convertible with the top down"? I cannot imagine anything more uncomfortable on my eyes! I guess she had great results with the Restasis!

Comment

I suspect there are people out there with mild forms of this disease who are being prescribed Restasis for whatever reasons. Either that commercial is truthful in that regard, or it is a complete farce. Reading the manufacturer's reports about sales makes my stomach churn. Now that I am off Restasis, I am tempted to try Refresh Endura to see if I react the same way. What's another $20?

Comment

I tried Restasis for 3 months and also developed a sensitivity to it and had to stop. The negative: bad burning, like Gaye described--and then later, chronic mucous, swollen lids, corneal edema, decreased acuity (more myopia), and some photophobia. The positive: very little, except that I noticed that my eyes didn't feel so irritated while in the shower (and so dry immediately after). That was IT. The only positive thing, and SO much pain. At the end, I had to go on steroid eye drops and antibiotics to reduce the inflammation. For me, the Restasis trial was a waste of time.

But I have a co-worker, a young man of 27 who had Lasik done in his early twenties--he says he had very dry eye before the Lasik--his Schirmer scores were 2. Anyway, he started Restasis the same time I did, and experienced no burning at all. So he's still using it--I don't know if it is improving the tear production for him, though.

C66

Comment

Working...
                    X