This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advise from a biochemist !!! Re: Topical Cyclosporine

As I know it to have worked for some of you I'm looking for a way to incorporate nighty use of topical cyclosporine into my every-day DE treatment. Some time ago I began using Cyclosporine eye drops with castor oil (aka Restasis) but doing it created some problems I had to overcome, one of which was the itching and burning. As the cause of it is the castor oil excipient I switched to a patented formulation of Cyclosporine that replaced the oil with a liposomal carrier.

The problem I'd be facing now if I choose to use topical Cyclosporine at night is that the compounding pharmacy from which I'm getting my Cyclosporine eye drops cannot produce ophthalmic ointment with liposomes. So if I were to use "Sandimmune" --which is the only ophthalmic ointment on the market with Cyclosporine as the main active ingredient-- I would have to deal with the itching and burning.

So I'm wondering if I could make an ophthalmic ointment for my own personal needs simply by mixing a dab of the Erythromycin ointment I use at night with two drops of the Cyclosporine with liposomes I use during the day. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dru...ation/DR601925

Could this concoction combine the immunosuppressant, anti-inflammatory, and antibiotic benefits of both components? If the answer is "yes" one has to wonder if by adding two drops of "Azasite" to the mix I would also be giving it anti-bacterial properties. I suppose I could let my eyes answer these questions but perhaps I can get a biochemist to tell me what's most likely to happen.

All I've been using before going to bed up to now has been Erythromycin ointment or allergy drops. I only use the second every once in a while whenever I feel my eyes need them so I'm sort of "playing it by ear". It's not clear to me when and for how long allergy drops should be taken.
    Last edited by Ariel; 19-Aug-2010, 12:55.
Working...
X