This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once on Restasis always on it?

Does anyone know if Restasis is a type of drug that once your body has been on it a while it can't function without it? Kinda like thyroid meds.

Restasis acts as an anti-inflammatory agent on the ducts of the lacrimal gland. It reduces the inflammation of the secretory duct allowing tears to flow from the gland. It does not eliminate the cause of the inflammation. My guess is until the environment that causes the inflammation, hypertonic tear film, is addressed Restasis would be needed.

Comment

I have been wondering if the doctor doesn't see anything abnormal how can he determine the Restasis is doing anything at all? If I don't show inflammation and he thinks my tear film is sufficient, what's to say the Restasis is actually benefitting me?

I just hate taking a med that I don't have to, or even worse, one that builds dependency.

Just something that's been bothering me.

Thanks.

Comment

I was able to wean myself off of restasis by slowiy tapering down from 3 drops to 2 to 1. I have not used it now in almost a year. I am currently not using any drops and managing quite nicely on most days.
        pianolady

Comment

I suppose that makes more sense that quitting cold turkey. It's good to hear you were able to quite. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X