Restasis making eyes worse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delilah,
    I'm curious, have you been diagnosed with filamentary keratitis? (Sorry if I've missed this in a previous post... memory like a sieve!) Boston Foundation for Sight seem to have a good track record with treating FK successfully, and quickly, with sclerals. Just a thought.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Delilah
      My last resort is to go to Paris France since I am catholic and see if that blessed water from St. Lourdes would cure them? Who knows if it would, never hurts to try right?

[not knowing for sure whether you're being serious or kidding....]

With airplane cabins being between about 5 and 15% humidity ... and the flight time between Boise and Paris being more than a dozen hours ... yeah: it can hurt to try

Comment

Dr. G I wanted to let you know that Dr. Tabin had prescribed the NAC drops many of times and he works a lot with Leiters pharmacy in California so he is familiar with them. He is a wonderful doctor, I hope I wasn't making anyone think he's bad, I just wanted to know if he did good or bad and it's true I did want the drops and it never hurts to try as long as it's not going to hurt me, it just didn't work. Dr. Tabin took the time to help me and answer my questions and he really cares. Yeah going to Paris probably wouldn't help my eyes but if it did it would be a miracle Do you know any thing about the castor oil drops? Would that help my eyes? Thanks Delilah
        If Dr. Tabin is a "wonderful" doctor, then how could he have done "bad"? N-acetylcysteine is used as Mycomyst to break up mucus secretions, not only in the eye, but also in the upper respiratory tract. It has a long history. Does it make dry eyes worse? Frankly, I dunno. I've never seen that reported. Apparently Dr. Tabin has had enough experience to think that it was worth a try. I thought it was worth a try.

Do I know anything about castor oil drops? Yes, it is mentioned in the dry eye literature as being helpful in some cases of dry eye. It is also the vehicle for the drug Restasis, which is also mentioned as being helpful in some cases.

As an aside, you don't have filamentary keratitis, do you? But, do you pick at your eyes very much? This can also irritate them into producing more mucus.

Comment

I do not have FK

Rebecca thanks for the reply, no I thought I had FK because it mentioned the mucus strings, but I don't To Dr. G, just because I asked if Dr. Tabin did good or bad doesn't mean I don't think he isn't a wonderful doctor!!!! He showed empathy and actually answered my questions, even good doctors can make mistakes!!! I am not a doctor so I don't know anything about eye drops and as far as the mucus fishing syndrome I'd like to see you try and leave your eyes alone when mucus strings are blocking your vision and your on the road, having them day in and day out, no matter how many warm compresses you do, no matter how much artifical tears you use, you have to pull them out from time to time, its so much easier for someone else to say, "don't touch your eyes" or "just flush them out" I would love to see others handle it, no one even knows how bad my eyes are, how badly I suffer from this horrible mucus eye strings!!! Anyway's take care all of you. D

Comment

A link to "mucus fishing syndrome" can be found here . The doctors prescribed a mucolytic agent (probably NAC) along with a mast cell stabilizer (probably chromolyn sodium, Alomide, Patanol, etc.).

Googling for mucus fishing syndrome will yield many hits.

Comment

Dr. G

"Delilah, I asked my doctor about your NAC drops and he said that there is no reason for me to use those drops since I don't have FK. He agreed with me that it could possibly harm my tear film if I were to use a mucolytic drop. He wouldn't even think of prescribing that for me. Why did your doctor prescribe it for you if you don't have FK?"

Dr. G now this was from another person I chat with about her eye problems and I suggested the NAC drops for her but this is what she said. So I am not sure how to go about asking Dr. Tabin in a nice way about this? I don't think he's a bad doctor, but I need to ask him why he perscribed these drops to me if I didn't have FK and just because "I wanted to try them" doesn't mean that it's always a good thing and that it will help. I am really upset that I am trying my hardest to find a cure and all I am getting is false hope. I've tried the Alomide the cell mast stabilizer drops and I can't afford them along with the Restasis, having no insurance and I just started a new job so I won't get insurance until October

I've also tried the Patanol, it's too expensive and doesn't seem too do anything but my question is do I have to use them as long as the Restasis before it shows any signs of improvement? I also want to apologize Dr. G if I sort of went off on you in the last post, I've just been really depressed lately about my eyes and I do so much and have done so much to try to improve them and nothing is working and Thank-you for congratulating me on the no-smoking

Its now 2 MONTHS OF NO-SMOKING!! It feels so much better and I now feel like I use to about smoking, I hate it, I can't stand the smell of it and I don't like to be around it, I use to hate smoking and I am happy that I got away from it. I smell so much better and feel so much better, I don't have that gross thick mucus in my throat or in my lungs but I don't understand why I am still coughing? Dr. G do you know how long it takes for a smoker of 10 years lungs to heal and clear up? Should I get an X-Ray and a physical from my doctor to make sure everything is good? Is there anyway I can see if I have cancer cells? Im sort of afraid as one of my professors died last year from lung cancer, he quit for a year after being a long life chain smoker and then got lung cancer.

Anyway's I am getting off on the wrong path, back to my eyes, I just don't know what to say to Dr. Tabin? I do think he's a wonderful doctor, maybe he really just didn't give it much thought? Maybe he didn't think it would hurt my eyes? But after the schrimmer test, I didn't even wet the paper, he should of known that my tear film was almost nothing it was at a .03 or .3 all I know it was very low and I have to go see him again next month for another schrimmer test, should I just wait until then Dr. G? I'd like to thank everyone for all their support and Thank-you Dr. G for caring about all of us and for taking your time to post information and advice as you are already a very busy man. D

Comment

"Delilah, I asked my doctor about your NAC drops and he said that there is no reason for me to use those drops since I don't have FK. He agreed with me that it could possibly harm my tear film if I were to use a mucolytic drop. He wouldn't even think of prescribing that for me. Why did your doctor prescribe it for you if you don't have FK?"
                Well, Delilah, I do not agree that NAC could even remotely cause irreversible harm to your tear film. I do agree that it has a looooong history of topical use for the treatment of FK, but as you can see, it has other uses as well for "mucus fishing syndrome," and for breaking-up mucus in upper respiratory conditions. In my opinion, your doctor was acting reasonably and responsibly, especially since nothing else had been working for you. Maybe you should thank him for being such a "wonderful" doctor.

I know that you are upset at not finding any relief, but I am not feeling too good about seeing how such a well-intentioned suggestion has turned into a major issue, and I will certainly be very reluctant to volunteer any more posts for fear of raising false expectations. I have learned my lesson.

Comment

Should I get an X-Ray and a physical from my doctor to make sure everything is good? Is there anyway I can see if I have cancer cells? Im sort of afraid as one of my professors died last year from lung cancer, he quit for a year after being a long life chain smoker and then got lung cancer.
                  No, No, and No. Delilah, you are spinning faster than a roller coaster. First, there is no reason for you to get a chest xray just because you quit smoking. I believe a doctor has to have a reason to request a procedure. Not just 'cause you are worried about lung cancer. No, there is no way they can tell you if you have "cancer cells." Or me, for that matter. If you can "see" the cancer cells, it's probably well advanced.

Your professor who died did not "quit for a year and then get lung cancer." No doubt he quit because he already had cancer and may not have known it, but it was causing problems. You don't get lung cancer overnight and especially just because you quit smoking. No one would know exactly how long the professor had lung cancer, I'm guessing. A more recent case is Dana Reeve, wife of the late Chris Reeve. She just died of lung cancer at 44 and had never smoked.

I know you're frustrated but you're going all over the place! I know how hard stopping smoking is, too. I smoked for a lot longer than 10 years and finally quit back in '89. Please try and relax a bit. Sometimes, by discussing your problem(s) with too many people, or too much is not a good idea. We try to help, but there is only so much one can do over the internet.

I hope you can get away from your "eyes" and cancer thoughts and enjoy the Easter weekend. I know you "can't get away from the eyes." But, you can try. Lucy
                  Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by DrG

I know that you are upset at not finding any relief, but I am not feeling too good about seeing how such a well-intentioned suggestion has turned into a major issue, and I will certainly be very reluctant to volunteer any more posts for fear of raising false expectations. I have learned my lesson.
                    Well, I sincerely hope that is not the case. I for one always appreciate any suggestions you may have. It would be a shame to deny others of your knowledge and experience.

Comment

Well said SusieD. I will second that! I have never seen anything that has come out of Dr. G's fingers that I would not consider credible, educational, appropriate and generous. Dr. G., your insight and education has helped me immensely. Thank you!
                      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I appreciate your comments. As someone pointed out, there are many frustrated, angry, and hurting patients out there, and sometimes they shoot the messenger.

Comment

Yes, and we do tend to get off topic at times. Me included.
                          But lung cancer and dry eyes are a long way apart. We need the messenger here. He cannot be all things to all people. Last time I knew, there was only one Dr. G. and his payment for all the crap we give him is a big fat zero, except for the satisfaction he gets from helping those with cracked eyeballs.

Now, Dr. G and all - go and have a Merry Easter, Happy Easter, or not. i just planted some flowers in my yard for maybe the second time in my life. They look great. The neighbors must think I've gone off my trolley--or been drinking. Come to think of it.......a beer..........would....be nice.
                          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Happy Easter

Happy Easter Everyone, I am sorry if I offended anyone including Dr. G, I never meant to offend anyone. All I asked were questions, I never made specific statements, if I already knew about the medicine I wouldn't be asking. I appreciate Dr. G's help but if he feels that I am trying to cut him down or other doctors then he is wrong. I shouldn't of brought up lung cancer so lets just drop that all together. All I asked was a question whether the NAC drops were good or bad, if I knew the answer I wouldn't need a doctor's advice. Im only asking for help, I truly am happy about my new eye doctor, I won't mention anymore, heck maybe I shouldn't even post anymore D

Comment

Nobody should take anything personally. I would hope no-one would feel as though they shouldnt post anymore.

Personally speaking, I love these boards, I've been on others before where many threads lead to arguments and such and you dont see that here. We are all here for the same reasons and I think the people on here are a great bunch and very supportive. When a professional person posts it is extremely helpful as they have so much experience which may or may not be applicable to your particular case but it also must be hard for them as in fairness they havent seen us or our eyes - and no dry eye is the same as the next!

Comment

Working...
                              X