This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restasis

I have recently been put on restasis because my opthamologist says that my dry eye seems to be caused by inflammation, which is what restasis treats. The nurse told me that even though the package says to use a vial once then discard, that I could just put an opened vial in the refrigerator and use if for 2-3 days. Is this okay to do even though the package also says to store above 57 degrees? The last thing I want to do is ruin the solutions by keeping them to cold, or causing an eye infection for using non-preserved solutions for a few days.

People on this board seem to handle Restasis in a few different ways. Some use a vial once and discard. Some use a vial twice, then discard. Others use a vial until it is empty. Some store it in the fridge and others don't.

My eye doctor told me to use it twice (morning and night) before discarding and that it doesn't matter whether it's left in the fridge or not. The important thing is not contaminating the vial opening.

I eventually started using a vial until it's empty. However this only takes 2 days for me because I use it more frequently (3/day because I discovered that a medication I take makes me metabolize cyclosporine faster, so I need it more frequently). I store it in the fridge unless I'm traveling.

I store it in the refrigerator unless I'm traveling.

Comment

My doctor told me I could use the vial multiple times. He never said anything about refrigeration. I would use the vial until it was empty (about 2 days). I never refrigerated it and never had problems with infection. I used Restasis for several years (3 or so).

I would recommend keeping it a clean place, away from dust, pets etc. Maybe in a tupperware container or plastic baggie?

Comment

I use mine until it's empty. I'm very careful not to touch the dropper tip... if I do, I toss the vial.

I store my open vial in a closed container.

Comment

I use mine until empty. Store in the fridge and use the top from another eyedrop that caps the end. I change this cap regularly and sterilise it in boiling water in between.

No problems thus far... my vials last 3-4 days

hope this helps

Ell
          The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

Comment

Working...
          X