Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! ... Alternative way of using Restasis, ok?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! ... Alternative way of using Restasis, ok?

I just bought my first Restasis - 30 single-use vials (0,4 mL) at a VERY expensive price here in Denmark (350$!). The package says 30 vials will do for 15 days (use two vials a day), but my eyedoctor said to save money I could spread the vials since there's more than enough Restasis in them to just use one a day = One drop at each eye morning/evening from the same vial.

But is that ok? I mean, the package says "use immediately after opening and then discard". Can I go with my doctor's advice and open one vial in the morning, use for both eyes, keep it through the day and then use it again at night before discarding it... ? ... Normally I would go with what the package says, but they're SO expensive, and 700$ a month would be more that I could bear....

Regards,
    Søren from Copenhagen

Originally posted by langelund View Post
    I just bought my first Restasis - 30 single-use vials (0,4 mL) at a VERY expensive price here in Denmark (350$!). The package says 30 vials will do for 15 days (use two vials a day), but my eyedoctor said to save money I could spread the vials since there's more than enough Restasis in them to just use one a day = One drop at each eye morning/evening from the same vial.

But is that ok? I mean, the package says "use immediately after opening and then discard". Can I go with my doctor's advice and open one vial in the morning, use for both eyes, keep it through the day and then use it again at night before discarding it... ? ... Normally I would go with what the package says, but they're SO expensive, and 700$ a month would be more that I could bear....

Regards,
    Søren from Copenhagen

I keep using the vial until it is gone. I place the cap back on after I am done.

One box can last me over 2 months.

Comment

OK to follow your doctor's advice. You just need to be very careful how you store it to avoid contamination. Many Restasis users here have reported that their doctor provided something to put it in to hold it upright and keep it protected. I think others have mentioned using a shot glass.

"Use immediately after opening and then discard" is standard manufacturer guidance for single-use vials but if you are careful (and are willing to stomach a somewhat increased risk) you can re-use Restasis and also single-use artificial tear vials. I'd be sure to always follow dr's advice for this though.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the replys! - I'll try to use it all up stretching it over several days, and see how it goes.

If anyone has specific "how to store Restasis"-tips they'll be much appriciated

.... but I really don't understand, why the Restasis company on the one hand write "use immediately and then discard" and on the other hand put much more Restasis in the vials than can possibly be used for one day - why put so much in the vials if they just want us to throw it away? ...

Anyway, thanks again, Rebecca. Also for the multible other threads I have been following as a reader for two years now.

Comment

Keep it in the refrigerator

Keep your Restasis in the refrigerator. It will feel better also.
          Don't touch the tip of the vial to prevent contamination.
          Recap after each use.
          Use it 'til its gone ...

I am not a Dr but this is what my Dr told me to do.

Comment

Working...
          X