Cost of Restasis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of Restasis

How much do you pay in the US for restasis? I realise this may vary depending on where you get it from.

The reason Im asking is because Im in the UK and it does seem it can be imported (through an international pharmacy in London) providing you have a doctor willing to prescribe it (privately - no chance on NHS as its not licensed).

Although they wouldnt tell me the cost - Im betting it will be expensive. I just wanted to get an idea of what you guys pay for it, or what you would have to pay for it if your insurance didnt cover it.

This will give me an idea of how badly I would be being ripped off for it - if I could get it imported this way.

Thanks!

From what I have heard I think that the retail price is apprx. $90 to $110 for a month's supply. Insured patients typically pay only a "co-pay", ranging from $10 to $50.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Restasis in Canada

Eeek, if I had to pay that much for RESATSIS I don't know if I'd opt to become a cyclosporine kid...my Ontario Health Insurance pays for all of my RESTASIS...(I get it through something called the SPECIAL ACCESS PROGRAM.)

I will be interested to see if HEALTH CANADA will approve RESASIS for commercial use...I know the first time ALLERGAN knocked on the FDA's door, they were turned down.

Trevor
      Death to Dry Eye!

Comment

I pay $50 for it - with insurance. On the prescription tag is says that the retail cost is $120.

You can easily stretch one month's supply to last for two months or so. Just keep it in the fridge.

Comment

I am going to try Restasis again. Today the price at my pharmacy was $128.99 (up $8.99 from the last time). My co-pay is $20, thank goodness! That is for a 30 day supply.
          Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

clarification

I forgot to mention that that one month supply was just for one tray of Restasis, as my doc only ordered it to be administered once daily.
            Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Not to rain on any parade...........
              The cost of Restasis today may be very cheap compared to future purchases.
              The cost of the drug will undoubtedly go up over time, and our co-pays are likely to increase also.

I stopped taking Restasis as my co-pay went from $10 to 50% of cost. I must also add that I had been taking Restasis for 7 months and had not noticed any positive results. A change in my insurance made the decision to stop a reality. Almost everyone is seeing changes in their insurance recently, with more cost shifting their way.
              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Yes, as Lucy said, my co-pay for Restasis recently went up. It used to be in the 2nd tier of drugs and I payed $20/month. Then in January they must have moved it to the 3rd tier because I'm paying $40/month. That is still cheap compared to what some pay though, so I'm not complaining.

Comment

I usually pick up my Restasis a week or so early, because there have been times when I've gone for it and they have to order it. Well, they have been very good about it lately, so this time, I wait until the last possible minute (I used my last vial this morning) and there is some insurance glitch. I guess after 6 months or something my doctor has to call and confirm that I am still on it or something like that and then the company will make a decision if they are still going to pay. Ofcourse it is 5:30 on Friday and no way to reach my doctor till next Tuesday when she is back in the office. So, they tell me that I can just pay regular price now and they will refund me when my insurance refunds them....they wanted $113 for ONE tray. $113 for a two weeks supply !!!!!!! Unbelieveable. I'll just go without it for a few days I suppose. The last thing I need is for my insurance company to decide NOT to pay and me be stuck with the bill. I suppose if my insurance company decides not to pay for it anymore, that will make it an easy decision to stop. I've been on it 6 months with no improvement, so I could go either way I suppose. But, if for some reason this whole 6 month limit thing has something to do with the fact that for lasik induced dry eye you only get Restasis for 6 months, I'm gonna be ticked. They helped pay for the lasik, they can sure as heck help pay to fix the damage it caused!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X