This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restasis Question

I have been taking Restasis, one drop twice daily, for about 6 weeks now. I thought I had a huge breakthrough last week, because I felt so much moisture in my eyes and I was singing Restasis' praises....but, now I cannot tell my eyes are any better at all. They are more red like they were and do not have much moisture in them. Is it normal to feel like it works for a while and then the benefits to go away temporarily? I feel pretty discouraged right now!

Oh my I hope that this is not a pattern with restasis, I began using it almost three weeks now, but when I began to use it, I felt amazingly better after just one week, the Doc said it couldn't have begun to work as it takes several weeks to begin to work, I was so happy, even tho the restasis is irritating makes my eyes feel burnish but goes away, after flushing a few times. Than the next week my eyes were worse. My eyes are better now, but now after your experience I'm not sure if the restasis really works? Hope someone else will respond to this, so we can know.

Comment

I also have started to use restasis.It gives the same feeling of incresed tears.
      But have heard and saw from this forum that it takes some time to actually show effect(atleast 2-3 months).

I also have dry eyes and also suffer from pain in ocular surface inside eyes ..mainly on corners(it hurts like a stone).

Dont know how to deal with this...Have been on Flax seeds,genteal gel,Lacrigel ,Vitamins ,leafy vegetables but seems to be no improvement.

Comment

Maybe it was just a fluke that my eyes were better for a few days and had nothing to do with the Restasis yet. I will keep using it and hope for more consistent results. It still causes a great deal of burning when I use it at night. It is extremely uncomfortable! I wonder if a person keeps using artificial tears if the eyes will not see a need to produce its own tears. I really don't know how it works. I try to cut down on artificial tears every now and then just to see.

Comment

hi to update on Restasis, I also put the drops for 5 days and felt good
          But to my despair, it is also causing more redness and dryness after i stopped it putting for 2 days.
          The eyes are so red now than never before.Also i had atleast some comfort by putting Genteal Gel.Now its totally the reverse. I feel a lot of burning by putting Gental Gel.

I also have the same question "whether Restasis work temporarily and causes more dryness" Is it some kind of steroid that if we dont put we fill uneasiness.

Please comment on the same those who use restasis as i would be able to deal with it in a proper manner.

Comment

I used Restasis religiously for over a year when I was first treated for dry eyes (6 years ago).

During that time my eyes hurt more than ever and I kept telling myself it would just take more time. My Doctor finally said that Restasis was not working for me...so it was discontinued.

About a year ago my latest Ophthalmologist told me that Restasis really only seems to work for a relatively small percentage of Dry Eye sufferers.

I am still seeking anything that will give me some relief. I've tried almost everything talked about in these forums...and sadly have not found the magic potion...yet.

We can't give up on this, and I refuse to be discouraged. There are answers out there...and in time they will be found. Pray to God that He will show us the answers soon.

Larry

Comment

That is weird about the genteel gel, I had a few days that I could not tolerate the gel either,they made my eyes burn so bad it was like chopping the strongest onions! Now I'm getting a lot of relief from the gel again, I have been putting a small dolop into the lower lid, other than the blurryness in has been helping, I wish I knew why sometimes I'll put in a drop of tears and it will burn, and the next time I'm fine?

Comment

I've had similar experiences with both Restasis and Genteal. I've been on Restasis for about 7 months now. It still stings. Expensive and hurts; not my favorite drug. It's an immunomodulator, I'm thinking it's not a steroid, I don't think you need to do a taper to go off of it or use it for a limited time (like Lotomax). I've read posts from several people who have been on it for years and didn't think it was doing anything until they stopped and they were much worse off. I'm going to stay on it for a year and then try stopping. I know Sjogren's has flares in which the symptoms are worse for a limited time; maybe other causes of dry eye have this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomag View Post
                  I've had similar experiences with both Restasis and Genteal. I've been on Restasis for about 7 months now. It still stings. Expensive and hurts; not my favorite drug. It's an immunomodulator, I'm thinking it's not a steroid, I don't think you need to do a taper to go off of it or use it for a limited time (like Lotomax). I've read posts from several people who have been on it for years and didn't think it was doing anything until they stopped and they were much worse off. I'm going to stay on it for a year and then try stopping. I know Sjogren's has flares in which the symptoms are worse for a limited time; maybe other causes of dry eye have this as well.
                  I think I agree with your thinking on this, Restasis is not a steroid, but like a steroid it is a immune suppressant, they both work by interfering with the immune response, in this case I think that restasis may, like steroids reduce the reaction (swelling) But I have not read anything that says that you should taper off it either. I'm going to continue using it, it does burn initially and for about an hour or so off and on after, I did notice that it can be worse at the end of the day, but that is more than likely because our eyes have been irritated during the day. Do you think that it is possible that the Genteal Gel is hurting because of a cross-reaction with what is in the Restasis? I've also noticed at times that this happens with the gel, and another artificial tear product. just a thought.

Comment

Please try Freshkote

Larry, I have been using Restasis for about 3 weeks. I read a post on this forum about Freshkote and thought, what the heck, might as well try it while I'm waiting for the Restasis to take effect. I called my doctor and had him prescribe the Freshkote. From the first use I could tell an immediate difference. it's a lubricant and I use it 3 to 4 times a day. My eyes haven't felt this "normal" for years ... Knock on wood!!! Just give it a try please. I'm also taking fish oil, drinks lots of water and doing a warm compress twice a day. I truly believe Freshkote is my miracle .... Maybe it will be for you too.

used Restasis religiously for over a year when I was first treated for dry eyes (6 years ago).

During that time my eyes hurt more than ever and I kept telling myself it would just take more time. My Doctor finally said that Restasis was not working for me...so it was discontinued.

About a year ago my latest Ophthalmologist told me that Restasis really only seems to work for a relatively small percentage of Dry Eye sufferers.

I am still seeking anything that will give me some relief. I've tried almost everything

talked about in these forums...and sadly have not found the magic potion...yet

We can't give up on this, and I refuse to be discouraged. There are answers out there...and in time they will be found. Pray to God that He will show us the answers soon.

Larry[/QUOTE]

Comment

Thanks Swasson48. I am going to set up an appointment with my eye guy soon and I will ask him about the Freshkote. Thanks again for your kind response and may God give you relief and healing.

Larry

Comment

13 days on Freshkote and it's still working...hallelujah!!!

Originally posted by eyehurt View Post
                        Thanks Swasson48. I am going to set up an appointment with my eye guy soon and I will ask him about the Freshkote. Thanks again for your kind response and may God give you relief and healing.

Larry
                        Just wanted to let you know I'm still having good results with Freshkote. Honestly, I was afraid it may have been just the "placebo effect" that I was enjoying when I first started the Freshkote. My eyes have been pain-free, tear-free (mine were overcompensating due to DES), the bottom lids look almost 100% normal (they were starting to get weird pits due to blepharitis caused by dry eye). It's like I told you before ... my eyes feel more normal than they have in 16 years! My opthomologist hasn't seen my improvement yet but I have an appointment on the 22nd. I can hardly wait. He was hesitant to prescribe the Freshkote because it wasn't what he usually prescribed for dry eyes. His #1 choice is Systane Ultra which did me no good whatsoever. I hesitate "bragging" so much for fear this is temporary and I'll revert back to my former misery but I can't keep still about something that is working so well for me and might help you. By the way, I was scheduled for a DCR surgery on June 30 to reroute my drainage ducts so that the tears that were constantly running over my lid and down my cheek would drain down my nasal passage (? not really sure exactly how it was suppose to work). But, when I read on this forum that the surgery sometimes makes things worse, I cancelled the surgery and started looking for a "kindler and gentler" option. About this same time I read on this same forum about Freshkote and decided to at least give it a try. Larry, my eyes feel smooth, not gritty, enough tears to coat my eyes and NOT run over! I don't know why this works that way except that it is more than a lubricant it also heals the surface of the eye. There's really not even that much info about it online but the website is www.freshkote.com if you want to learn a little about it. My apologies for this message being so jumbled, just so glad to feel so much better. Please talk to your doctor soon.

Comment

Originally posted by swasson48 View Post
                          Just wanted to let you know I'm still having good results with Freshkote. Honestly, I was afraid it may have been just the "placebo effect" that I was enjoying when I first started the Freshkote. My eyes have been pain-free, tear-free (mine were overcompensating due to DES), the bottom lids look almost 100% normal (they were starting to get weird pits due to blepharitis caused by dry eye). It's like I told you before ... my eyes feel more normal than they have in 16 years! My opthomologist hasn't seen my improvement yet but I have an appointment on the 22nd. I can hardly wait. He was hesitant to prescribe the Freshkote because it wasn't what he usually prescribed for dry eyes. His #1 choice is Systane Ultra which did me no good whatsoever. I hesitate "bragging" so much for fear this is temporary and I'll revert back to my former misery but I can't keep still about something that is working so well for me and might help you. By the way, I was scheduled for a DCR surgery on June 30 to reroute my drainage ducts so that the tears that were constantly running over my lid and down my cheek would drain down my nasal passage (? not really sure exactly how it was suppose to work). But, when I read on this forum that the surgery sometimes makes things worse, I cancelled the surgery and started looking for a "kindler and gentler" option. About this same time I read on this same forum about Freshkote and decided to at least give it a try. Larry, my eyes feel smooth, not gritty, enough tears to coat my eyes and NOT run over! I don't know why this works that way except that it is more than a lubricant it also heals the surface of the eye. There's really not even that much info about it online but the website is www.freshkote.com if you want to learn a little about it. My apologies for this message being so jumbled, just so glad to feel so much better. Please talk to your doctor soon.
                          Thanks again Swasson48. I contacted my dry eye doc today and he wanted to look into the Freshkote further...and then get back with me. Systane Ultra is what I have been using for lack of anything else, but I get only very very temporary relief with it. I pray for your continued relief.

Larry

Comment

Working...
                          X