Mucin Layer - Restasis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mucin Layer - Restasis

My eye doctor said that Restasis is particularly good for the mucin layer...has anyone heard this or come across articles online regarding this subject.

Trevor
    Death to Dry Eye!

It really makes me laugh when doctors say things like 'its good for this and it helps with that' - then add on the end, by the way, you cant have it!

My doctor in the UK went on about the benefits then said, but you cant have it here. Talk about dangling a carrot!

Oh, sorry no, in response to your oringinal question I have not seen anything about its effects on the mucin layer.

Comment

Curious assumption indeed... has it been reported in the medical press? can you ask your doc?
      cyclosporine or restasis works on the inflammatory process existing in almost every type dry eye (a french professor called Baudouin has demonstrated that there is always some kind - I insist on some kind - of inflammatory involvement in all types of DES.... that we know.
      Cyclo is not a secretagogue nor a mucin-like substance so...
      anyway, maybe he can tell you why he said that.
      Kakinda

Comment

Hmmm...

Thank you for your replies. The next time I see my opthamologist, I will inquire as to why she made this mucin-layer-claim. I did a quick google search and I did find this snippet on the following site: http://www.columbustelegram.com/expert/eyephysicians/

"Chronic dry eye can be the result of a myriad of factors. The normal tear film is composed of a lipid layer, mucuin layer and aqueous layer. A deficiency in any one or a combination can cause a chronic dry eye. Omega 3 fatty acids taken by mouth can be beneficial in patients with a lipid abnormality in their tear film. Restasis is particularly good for the mucin layer. Artificial tears or punctal plugs can help the aqueous layer. In addition, lid malposition and infections also affect the tearing mechanism. Assuming there is no infection or lid malposition, if artificial tears have not helped considering the use of Restasis topically and/or Omega 3 fatty acids orally would be a good choice. Avoiding high air flow (overhead fans, vents and drafts) and irritants such as smoke, dust and fumes also are beneficial.

Peter E. Diedrichsen, M.D.
        Eye Physicians PC"

Interesting...but difficulit...
        Death to Dry Eye!

Comment

Acquiring Restasis in Canada VS. UK

SusieD, I was wondering - can SOME eye doctors in the UK obtain RESTASIS for their patients.

I'm from Canada, and Cyclosporine A isn't commercially available here. However, my opthamologist is able to get it through something called the SPECIAL ACCESS PROGRAM, whereby doctors can obtain drugs that haven't yet been approved by Health Canada.

Are you seeing an opthamologist or an optometrist? In Canada, optometrists are permitted to prescribe a VERY limited range of ophthalmic therapeutic agents...I'm not sure if the UK has something that is equivalent to Canada's SPECIAL ACCESS PROGRAM...

Cheers!

Trevor
          Death to Dry Eye!

Comment

Restasis & goblet cells

Originally posted by crispen_2000
            My eye doctor said that Restasis is particularly good for the mucin layer...has anyone heard this or come across articles online regarding this subject.

Trevor
            There is one study I believe indicating that Restasis improves goblet cell density. See: http://www.restasisprofessional.com/...increasing.htm

Goblet cells make mucins, so that's why they mentioned it.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

maybe that would explain why i'm one of the few people on this site that seems to benefit from restasis. seeing as SLK is more of an inflammatory problem than anything else, and having been told by my eye doctors that my dry eye is probably due to inflammatory problems, it makes sense that restasis actually makes my eyes feel better (so far). also, i've been told that my dry eye symptoms weren't being caused by lack of tears necessarily, but he mentioned that it has something to do with my mucin/lipid layer not working correctly. maybe restasis should advertise differently. clearly, it doesn't help many dry eye patients who simply can't make tears, but it sure has helped me, and its all inflammatory/mucin related.
              -Amy

Comment

Question for Amy..

Hi Amy...I was wondering - how MUCH has Restasis helped you - and were there clinical signs that the Restasis has helped you? I'm asking for a quantative answer (hee hee.) I mean, were you putting tears in your eyes seven times a day and after a few months on Restasis, it's cut it down to three times a day?

Hope you don't mind answering my nosey questions...

Trevor
                Death to Dry Eye!

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris
                  There is one study I believe indicating that Restasis improves goblet cell density. See: http://www.restasisprofessional.com/...increasing.htm

Goblet cells make mucins, so that's why they mentioned it.

Hi Rebecca,
                  It's not exactly an independant report ("this was brought to you by allergan" at the bottom)... I'm not saying it isn't true but I'd rather see it stated in an independant report. Other I've seen, say "may improve mucin production).
                  It does reduce inflammation and probably improves inflammed meibomian/lipid production, it does reduces corneal cells apoptosis (death) by reducing inflammation on the surface.

I will ask France's top docs when it comes to Ciclosporine increasing mucin production... which may not be exactly the same thing as improving goblet cell density.

Based on my own expeirence it did reduce somewhat inflammation (but it's less effective than steroid of course) and possibly it did reduce the meibomian gland inflammation...
                  but as far as the mucin layer quality is concerned I can't report much improvement (too many mucin filaments) and BUT hasn't really improved either...

If anyone finds an indepedant report (it's not always easy to know for sure) please post it here.

take care,
                  Kakinda

Comment

Originally posted by crispen_2000
                    SusieD, I was wondering - can SOME eye doctors in the UK obtain RESTASIS for their patients.

I'm from Canada, and Cyclosporine A isn't commercially available here. However, my opthamologist is able to get it through something called the SPECIAL ACCESS PROGRAM, whereby doctors can obtain drugs that haven't yet been approved by Health Canada.

Are you seeing an opthamologist or an optometrist? In Canada, optometrists are permitted to prescribe a VERY limited range of ophthalmic therapeutic agents...I'm not sure if the UK has something that is equivalent to Canada's SPECIAL ACCESS PROGRAM...

Cheers!

Trevor
                    Hi, no. Well the problem is not many doctors are knowledgeable about restasis. Mine is aware of it and he could give me a prescription, but then I have to actually try and get it. There are a couple of companies who can import it (at a price). So Im going to try and go down that route. I am seeing an Ophthalmologist.

Just on the subject of mucin - is this why Im getting blurry vision? It clears when I blink but Ive been getting ti more lately or is this just due to lack of tear film in general. I NEVER see any mucus strings or anything like that in my eyes.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by kakinda
                      Hi Rebecca,
                      It's not exactly an independant report ("this was brought to you by allergan" at the bottom
                      Quite so.

Sure wish we could see an independent study comparing several products... hope so some day.
                      Rebecca Petris
                      The Dry Eye Foundation
                      dryeyefoundation.org
                      800-484-0244

Comment

goblet cell density

I have only seen one study that proved goblet cell density increase. I might have the pictures and articles scanned on another computer. It was a comparison between two eye drops, TheraTears and Refresh. TheraTears increased density and Refresh reduced density.

Restasis is only an antiinflammatory. In a few people it will reduce inflammation enough to allow more tears to flow from the lacrimal gland and maybe some lipids from the meibomian glands. In a few people this may be enough, over time, to change the osmolarity of the tears enough to start helping the cornea and in turn make more goblet cells. Like all things in the body, survival is first, to survive nutrition is necessary. Your cornea gets its nutrition from tears not blood vessels. If the osmolarity isn't correct then the cornea has a most difficult time absorbing nutrients.

Comment

Working...
                        X