X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restasis -- and diagnosis.

Hi,

My ophthalmologist who also has her staff optometrist examine me put me on Restasis for DES. The course of therapy is take it twice a day. This about right? More or less better?

I assume it is typical once in morning and once at night.

They said it takes about 6 weeks to even notice any improvement with it -- what are you guys experiences time wise. As it is expensive, but I am out of options and have to try it, and don't want to stop it early.. want to give it a fair trial.

Also I notice that a few minutes after putting it in I can feel it completely draining down my throat. This happens with all eye drops, they drain down my throat instantly. Is this normal? I know the glands are linked and things drain.. but could this be part of the problem.. that my tears may tend to drain out more than they should? Shrug.. just curious on that.

Lastly -- the optometrist looked at my eyes for about 15 seconds with a slit lamp and said he didn't see any major dry eye.

My eyes burn like crazy, and when I wake up they have zero tears in them and are blood shot, the lids stick to the eyes. A few minutes after I lay on my back to go to sleep I can feel my eye balls rubbing uncomfortably against my corneas.. where now, sitting up in a chair when i close the eyes it feels normal, like some sort of lubrication is there at least. I can only attribute this to the tears draining out in the supine position (laying down) -- may seem crazy but logic doesn't lie -- can anyone agree, or think of why this would happen shortly after laying on my back.

Even if I lay on my side like watching tv on the bed,.. the eye that is closer to the sky, if you will, drys out, the one that is closer to the bed (down) isn't. Completely a 'gravity' effect. Which makes me question my tear film.. and how my drainage and distribution is working. If anyone see's any link in these descriptions let me know.

But I have not had my tear film inspected with a Tear break up time or any of that. I find it sort of odd that a doctor looks at the cornea with a slit lamp a few seconds and thats it. Isn't dry eye something that needs TBUT tests, and other such to see the severity etc? It seems they just assume. Like they are looking for some major signs of some sort that you can see with the naked eye. Seems fairly unprofesional and a bit due to lack of knowledge in the 'dry eye' field.

These doctors due thousands of lasik eye surgeries a year and deal with the patients before and after.. so you'd think they would know a thing or two about dry eye.

Bottom line, whether they do or not -- restasis is one of the only medications that has a positive effect long term.. so this is why I'm using it.

It burns after about 10-20 seconds of putting it in.. not real sure what the delay effect is. But I can handle pain.. makes my eyes water (which is a weird feeling cause they don't have tears normally in high volume most of the time) --

I also notice that my general "lubricating" drops make my eyes burn too -- seems like any drop I put in my eye irritates it. Not like the drop is doing it, but like it mixes with something in my eye or eyelids to create a burning sensation. Like the oils, or acid, or something gets mixed up when I put the drops in. They are designed to help the pain , not create it.

Is this pain with putting drops in early in on treatment (not just restasis) -- common with dry eye? I know the restasis is supposed to burn, and might burn forever.

I also have gel drops to put in at night. But I find that they wear off (and I feel my eyes against my lids in a matter of minutes) -- even if I use the thick gel. What is this with my eyes being so gritty against the eye lids laying down.. and is there anything that will stop it?

I used to think with the eyes closed the tears would be more in tact and lubricate more, but the more I learn it seems with the eyes closed your eyes are worse off in that respect.

I have the dry eyes goggles, but frankly they don't stay on well, and I sleep on my side can't on my back and they keep me from falling asleep. Wish I could wear them. =/

I've always thought that maybe my eye problems are more a tear film COMPOSITION problem .. maybe not the typical loss of oil, but maybe too much mucous (my sinuses are constantly clogged) and might need a little different treatment to help. Do any doctors check the tear film composition under microscope or testing, and so forth?

I know this is getting long -- but I can see ghosting of lights and things, and blink and it get better .. then come back in a few seconds.. blink and it then just be a blur.. then blink and it get better.. blink and it blur,.. blink and it blur even more.. (just random).

If I close my eye, either one, and rub it for a few seconds.. and open everything is a major blur.. I couldn't even attempt to see if I had to after rubbing the eyes.

Lastly, (for real).. when I wake up my eyes feel like dry bones.. and all lights and such have huge halo's around them.. everything that is remotely light is like this. It goes back to my normal messed up vision soon, but this is still not 'right'.

I asked the doctor if maybe I could have some microscopic abrasions on the cornea from overnight or something that aren't healed and he said the cornea doesn't have any such abrasions. (This is with his looking with the light.. no dye, or anything). I thought some dye generally needed to be used to determine such things that couldn't be readily seen with the naked eye?

Sorry so long, thanks for reading!

Restasis

In my case, Restasis took at least 2 or 3 months to work. I was taking Tobradex drops at that time (has a steroid) and steroids prevent Restasis from working and are also very drying to the eyes.

So, when I finally stopped the Tobradex, I had a GUSH of tears for a few weeks actually. I don't know if this is from steroid rebound or from the Restasis or whatever.

Now I have Schirmer's of 30 in both eyes, so that means I make tons of tears. My eyes stilll start to burn later in the day though.

On the halos and stuff - are you using preservative free drops from the vial? I think if you use something with preservatives, you can get halos ( I think)

Comment

Originally posted by NeedMyEyes View Post
      In my case, Restasis took at least 2 or 3 months to work.
      Yes, the doctor said it would take a long time to have any noticeable effect.

With your results,.. was it sort of after several weeks/month you noticed more tears ? Or does it work on a perfect 'bell curve' -- in other words does each day that you use Restasis the eyes get a little better? I hope that isn't confusing, I would think it would be working on helping but isn't an 'exact' steady path -- it is an immunosuppressant and anti-inflammatory so once that is under control there might be a 'turning point' so to speak.

So, when I finally stopped the Tobradex, I had a GUSH of tears for a few weeks actually. I don't know if this is from steroid rebound or from the Restasis or whatever.
      Care to clarify the 'gush of tears' ? Was this your eyes watering most of the day excessively? Or? Just curious.

Now I have Schirmer's of 30 in both eyes, so that means I make tons of tears. My eyes stilll start to burn later in the day though.
      I haven't , to my knowledge, had any tests of my tear break up, or tear film like this. I have slit lamps, and other tests, but I would think they would want to thoroughly check the tear film. Instead I seem to get the medication and diagnosis as a basis of the other tests being pretty close to normal. I do wake up , as I mentioned, with my eyes burning, and literally no tears in them. So there is a dry eye thing going on, I just can't make sense of it.

On the halos and stuff - are you using preservative free drops from the vial? I think if you use something with preservatives, you can get halos ( I think)
      I am using presv. free Restasis .. clear individual vials twice a day. The doctor gave me "Refresh Optive Lubricant eye drops" to take a few times a day, and then also the same brand but a 'gel' to use at night.

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
      X