This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restasis questions

Before starting Restasis, I just have a few questions.

First of all, if restasis stings so much, does this not cause damage to the ocular surface? Are we not further damaging our eyes by exposing them to something that irritates the surface of the eye?

Also, does restasis do anything for the burning symptoms that are associated with MGD?

Thanks!

Hi Hopeful, I had the same question and was worried if the stinging would cause problems. However, having been on restasis now for nearly 3 months, I've had my corneas checked and there is no damage at all. Some peoples eyes sting with normal eye lubricants such as Genteal gel or Carmellose drops. My theory is when you finally add some moisture to a very dry eye, it's a bit of a shock to the system and a burning is felt, but then it goes away.

I don't think restasis does anything for MGD, it's mostly for aquous deficiency.

Comment

Hi Hopeful,
      I've been using Restasis for a long time, and it has never stung. Hoping you find the same to be true, and that it helps. It is not for MGD, but can promote tear production.

Comment

Hi Hopeful,

I am not sure if this provides any comfort or answers your question- but I have recently started using restasis and although I do feel burning/stinging, it is never accompanied by redness or other signs of irritation. Normally my eyes flare up and go bloodshot with the slightest triggers. So I take the fact that restasis leaves my eyes looking calm as a good sign that it's not doing anything bad to my ocular surface.

Just some practical advice for when/if you start restasis- although they advise waiting 15 minutes before using any other eye drop (including lubricating ones) after instilling restasis, I find that a little longer, more like 25 minutes and up, is best. Otherwise it stings when the two mix.

Comment

Thanks for all the encouraging replies!

I went ahead with the Restasis and am thrilled that I did not experience any burning. I buffered the restasis by applying my regular drop about 10 minutes beforehand. I did not notice any redness either. They just felt like a regular eye drop. . . having said that sometimes even regular eye drops cause stinging. I notice that if I have had a lot of reflex tearing, then even my regular drops will sting. The only drops that don't sting in this situation is the serum tears.

Has anyone seen improvement in the sensation of burning (related to poor quality tears), with the use of Restasis?

Comment

in addition to tear production, according to one of my doctors, Restasis is also an anti-inflammatory.

Comment

I'm very jealous of all of you!

I have been using Restasis for about a month and since day 1 i feel burning and have inflamed veins every time I put them in....

Comment

Losing eyelashes on restasis

I think I read somewhere on here that restasis causes some people to lose their eyelashes. I'm losing mine, just noticed. Anybody know if they regrow? I am gonna stop taking Restasis now. All I need is no lashes to help prevent stuff from getting into my eyes...
                had been using them per doc's instrux 4x/d, had completed week 3. Had tried them for 3 mos when first developed all these problems after neurosurgery. Didn't work then. My doc said I'd have to try them even longer on this regimen to satisfy insur co. that I've been jumping thru all the hoops to get them to partly pay for sclerals. oh well. I refuse to lose any more eyelashes.

Maria

Comment

So, Im very glad that you posted about losing your lashes because the same thing is happening to me at an alarming rate! I also refuse to lose my eye lashes with a drop that is causing me more redness than anything! My eyes already don't look as good as they used to, not risking no lashes to!

Comment

Thanks for writing Faith - now I know I'm not alone! Wish I knew whether they grew back....

Comment

Thanks for posting about the eyelashes! I had never heard of the eyelashes falling out from the restasis. I have noticed a few more stray eyelashes but have thought nothing of it.

I wonder if it is worth starting a new thread with a question about restasis and loss of eyelashes? Maybe someone who has been on it a long time could comment on wether or not they grow back.

Comment

Darn, I have been hunting for half an hour and still can't find the study I want... even though I blogged about it myself. I think there were at least two but the one I had in mind was about toxicity of the Restasis vehicle compared to alternatives. We can never pin down a one-to-one relationship between sensation and toxicity, of course (corneal sensation varies greatly from individual to individual and varies hour to hour and day to day in the same individual...) but I think that instinctive suspicions of things that burn when they go in are reasonable. Yeah I know I'm the one pushing saline as a buffer but, well, I do that because if you're going to take something that burns, you might as well be more comfortable while you're doing it.
                        Rebecca Petris
                        The Dry Eye Foundation
                        dryeyefoundation.org
                        800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                        X