Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suil Eile, Sometimes we find that the active component is helpful but the base is a problem, especially in chronic use with sensitive eyes, and whose aren't.

Eg with a 5-day short course of Azyter, the MGs cleared very well but there was a bumpy cherry red reaction underneath the eyelids that made me very glad we stopped. The reaction was during the course, but clear MGs were apparent the following week and continued into the next month.

This is why, with hypersensitive 'rosacea' type eyes, I'm holding off on this Optimmune formulation of cyclosporine for long term while we're doing OK, because of the paraffinum base. Maybe it's a bit like lipsalve in the winter - use it one day and it's great, the next day the lips are dry again and dependent on mineral oil (this was in some derm lit which I've lost. Mineral oil can be like this, depending on individual tolerance, and sometimes you start to want something more like a bio oil.) I'm thinking anything we put on the eye surface in chronic use is going to change it and therefore to be avoided, unless pros outweigh cons and there's a definite goal and the side effects can be fixed or heal. Maybe some of the bases of antibacterials used for eye infections are setting up dry eye this way.

It's becoming aware of the sensitivities that helps the most.

I think it's important to use it in an informed supervised way with an interested ophth, if you've got one. It's criminal that we are left to self-medicate on serious eye drugs.
    Last edited by littlemermaid; 08-Jun-2012, 05:18.
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

should i buy restatis , if yes in what quantity? there is i think that deal 0.05 %/3 m for 67$, i really need to try it if it helps. I live in Canada so i guess its more popular in the US.

Comment

Sorry LM, just saw your post now. The base is an issue for me - my eyes have reacted badly to lanolin/ parrafin in the past. I havent used it in years, but was considering trying the Optimmune short-term just to see if the active ingredient holds any benefit for me.

A friend of mine is a vet nurse and she sent me on the drug info. Thought I'd post it here in case anyone was interested.

http://www.imb.ie/images/uploaded/sw...2010020030.pdf
        The eye altering, alters all - William Blake

Comment

what about lipiflow, is it up there with restasis?

Comment

A few thoughts: restasis is only effective for 15% of patients. And I think really only aqeuous deficency.. I don't think it helps bad inflammation..its not that strong. I've been on it 3 months for mgd and I don't think is helping. I have substantial inflammation. So u don't know why they tout it helps the majority.

Lipifliw might help if you don't have much inflammation. I have a lot..so I think it would be pointless for me.

I'm going to try kineret drops from the mass eye and ear institute in Boston. Its under.trials...but they will prescribe it for mgd. It is aimed at inflammation and mgd.. so it might help. Anyone else tried these let me know? Luckily I have very good health insurance here in the us so its covered.

I'm gonna try as many dryeye treatments whilist I'm in the US that I can!
            I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

RESTASIS is now FDA & available in Canada too, I have just started taking it will let u know, & yes it is expensive.

Comment

Dog2012

We need to start Petition to FDA. Rebecca can you start one http://www.change.org/start-a-petition ??

Comment

So, this is now my third attempt at Restasis, and for some reason this time it SEEMS to be working..my eyes seem less red and irritated. I have lots of surface inflammation and my understanding is that the drug is supose to help with it... I havent stayed on Restasis longer than two months due to burning ect. but if this is my only option rn, then I guess its just what I have to use. I am also using doxy 100 mg, once a day. We will see if it improves the inflammation long term, as that is my main concern rn....

Comment

I have been on restasis for two months now. I have noticed quite an improvement. I now only put another eye drop In at night. I still wear goggles when I go out due to air sensitivity and for watching tv. Before restasis I was putting drops in every 45 to60 minutes. I couldn't even watch tv at all and now I can watch it for at least an hour. I can also read for an hour without the goggles. I am hopeful for even greater improvement. I don't have good days every day but mostly. Now they out number the bad days.

Comment

so i jumped the gun when i said Restasis was helping me. Today is the third day this week my eyes are flared up, and that hasn't happened in almost a year. I really dont think this drug is for me.

Comment

i was wondering if there was any success story wth restasis, guess not.... im taking it but its expensive down here in quebec as its not covered with insurance. there is that 50 $ reward program though. Anyone has a link to order it online a bit cheaper?

Comment

30 x 0.04 bottle is supposed to last you how long? apparently 15 days, thing is ive been on it 1 months and half and the box isnt even half empty yet. I put in 4 drops a day even if the gap is pretty small. Anyone?

Comment

It's because you are using every drop (like I do and have done for a year). This stuff is too expensive to toss with 2/3rds of it still in the container. I hope it is helping...F/G

Comment

Working...
                            X