This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemic cyclosporin A

While googling the name of the consultant I'm due to see in September for a second opinion I came across this abstract:

http://www.eur-j-ophthalmol.com/publ...7246192A&t=EJO

regarding the use of systemic Cyclosporin A to treat atopic dermatitis and keratoconjunctivitis. I'd not heard of this before, and thought it was interesting. I suppose used orally it would avoid the potential for side effects from the other ingredients in Restasis-type formulations used directly in the eye? I don't recall reading anything on this forum about oral cyclosporin.

I have never seen it here either. I can't tolerate restasis but I know my issue is inflammation. Whether the dryness causes the inflammation or the inflammation causes the dryness--who knows. ?

If there were a systemic medication without wacky side effects, I would be very open to trying it.

In looking at the possible side effects, I imagine docs are hesitant to prescribe it. From Web MD (I think this is the right kind of cyclosporine):

Headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach upset, acne, cramps, increased hair growth on the face/body, shaking fingers/hands (tremor), swollen/red/painful gums, dizziness, flushing, and high blood pressure may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
    Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.Your risk of infection may be higher while you are taking this medication. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these symptoms of infection occur: fever, sore throat, flu-like symptoms, painful urination.

And also:

Cyclosporine is a drug that reduces the body's ability to fight illness/disease (an immunosuppressant), leaving patients vulnerable to infection or other problems (including cancers such as lymphoma). Using other drugs that treat organ transplant rejection along with this drug may increase these tendencies.
    Cyclosporine can also cause high blood pressure and kidney problems. The risk of both problems increases with higher doses and longer treatment with this drug. Psoriasis patients who have had certain previous treatments (e.g., PUVA, UVB, coal tar, radiation therapy, methotrexate) are at increased risk to develop skin cancer. Therefore, cyclosporine must be given only under close medical supervision.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-9108...losporine+Oral

Comment

I have taken oral cyclosproine for another illness. It is basically chemo. Not a good idea. Side effects aren't worth it. It is a very serious drug. I was left with nerve damage in my face.

Comment

Agree with Tanner - oral cyclosporine is very nasty stuff... I wouldn't take it unless I was really bad off (and I've been bad enough that I couldn't even keep my eyes open for a full waking day, and would not have been able to work - even like THAT, I wouldn't have considered oral cyclosporine). Yes, it might help your eyes, but it could very likely screw up the rest of you, so not a good trade.

Comment

Working...
        X