Rice bag fumes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rice bag fumes

I have been heating up white rice in a sock in a microwave and applying it to my eyes for MGD. I feel like I have been getting respiratory irritation -- coughing, trouble breathing deeply -- as well as feeling lethargic -- as a result of the fumes, for lack of a better word, that come from the rice bag. Definitely after nuking it there is a strong smell.

Anyone have a similar experience? Or thoughts on whether or not this is harmful of if perhaps I am just sensitive?

treatment of sock in rice bag

Could it be possible that you have used a sock that has been treated with some kind of chemical, was the sock new or an old one?

Billye

Comment

Are you using regular white rice and not instant rice? How long are you nuking your rice?

Do not use instant rice. I usually nuke mine sor 2 minutes and don't have any problem. It would also depend on how BIG your rice baggy is. A bag holding 2 cups of rice would take more nuking than a bag/sock holding one cup of rice. Call out the fire engines!
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Yes, you'll want to use real rice, not the instant stuff. I tend to get "hot spots" in my rice baggies probably because my microwave is old and inferior. I usually put a glass of water in with it to alleviate this problem. Also, it adds a little moisture to my compress and feels even better.

We must put an end to your rice poisoning!

D
        Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

I use Carolina brand rice. I am so bad in the kitchen that I can say I don't believe it's instant rice, but am not certain! It's the kind sold in a big box with loose grains of rice; I don't cook the stuff, but imagine you mix it with boiling water or something.

Do you experience the same type of smell/fumes from yours? I've been using just a regular thin dress sock. (I find that thick socks do not work as well.)

Comment

Ericdinn

I used to get "fumes" from my rice when I heated it in the microwave without putting a cup of water in with it.

Essentially the cup of water helps the rice maintain some moisture, without it you will end up burning the rice and most likely what is causing your "fumes".

Three suggestions I have are:
            1. Change the rice regularly (I change it every few weeks/month or so, always using uncooked rice - whatever is cheap at the store).
            2. Put a cup of water in the microwave with the rice bag
            3. Try using Barley/wheat grain instead of rice, similar size of grain, same concept, different smell.

Regards
            Ian

Comment

Try popcorn kernels instead. The only drawback is people smelling popcorn and demanding I stop keeping it for myself.

Comment

Maybe I should have mentioned, I nuke it for 30 seconds, enough that the sock is very warm but not enough that the kernels are about to pop.

Comment

Working...
                X