Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restasis - how to store it? please advice.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restasis - how to store it? please advice.

I finalen got the Restasis today, but since it is a licence drug here there are no info along with it, and the pharnacist knew nothing about it. Shells first said it should be stored in the fridge, and thats how they had stored in in the pharmacy. Then I asked how to handle it when travelling to Italy next week, I dont think I will have afridge in my Hotel Room.... Then I looked at the package and it said to store it in room temperature! So... could it be stored either way or what?

Room temperature is recommended by the manufacturer, so will be fine

Comment

Room temperature is fine. Some tips...

• It will sting if you are dry, but STAY ON IT. Many people on this board seem to have a stigma against Restasis. I think it does exactly what it promises... kills inflammation to allow better tear flow. Your success will vary depending on what your problem is, but I am entering month four of treatment and have been steadily improving. I say at least give it six months if not more.

• Most doctors will say you can use one vial TWICE. Open a new vial in the evening, use your drops, then set it aside. 12 hours later, after you wake up, reuse that vial for your morning dosage, and then discard. I had one doc tell me "just use it until it's gone," and then another doc was like, "that's a bad idea... just use one vial for PM/AM."

• It is not advised to use more than one drop per use, but my ophthalmologist has said it is not a big deal because the concentration of the drug does not increase with 2+ drops instead of one. I use two drops every time, and I lay down on the bed when I do it. I have plugs as well, and I try to roll the medicine around my eye for a good five minutes while it is in there.

• With that said, overuse of Restasis will give the bottom of your eyes a greyish, dirty look to them, depending on how dry you are and how much you use. It's nothing to worry about health-wise (or so I've been told by the docs), but something to look out for. If you don't want the grey eyes and want to keep them whiteish, just use one drop and don't get creative.

• I got somewhat of a sore throat when I was using 3+ drops at a time (I figured I'd get better quicker if I used more, so sue me), along with the grey/dirty eyes. Again, overuse at your own risk. I wouldn't go with more than two drops in each eye.

• Also, don't fall asleep with it in your eyes. Again, you'll get the grey eyes. I do mine at 9:30 AM & 9:30 PM.

At least this was my experience with Restasis. Yours could be different. Good luck!
      32/M ATD • Getting better every day!

Comment

Other tips:

If it causes you to have redness all day, rather than just right after you apply it, try flushing your firmly closed eyes with water about 15 minutes after using it to clean any residue from it off your eyelashes - for me, if I don't do this, the dried Restasis residue on my lashes seems to leak into my eyes all day long and cause redness/irritation

To minimize stinging, keep the vial you are using in the fridge - the coldness of the drop will help it feel better

Also to minimize irritation from it: if your eyes are very dry, about 15-20 minutes before you use Restasis, use a drop of PF artificial tears... wait 15 minutes, use Restasis... wait 15-20 minutes, then use another drop or two of PF artificial tear (I find having my eyes somewhat moist before using Restasis helps it feel better, and rinsing out any leftover Restasis with artificial tears about 15-20 minutes afterwards helps to minimize the stinging you get when starting out.

And if all of the above doesn't work, to alleviate stinging throughout the day, close your eyes tight and splash ice cold tap water over your closed lids - it feels great and makes stinging eyes feel sooooo good! Repeat as often as necessary.

Comment

Here's my take on restasis and sorry Marty I'm go ing to be disagreeing with you on a couple of points. I have been using restasis for about 1 1/2 years and it helps a bit but by no means is a cure. I figure every little bit helps.

- I do not store it in the fridge and I use every last drop of this expensive medication.

- I put it in my eyes just as I go to sleep so that they are closed and it will be in contact with my eye as long as possible. Plus I don't notice the stinging as much with the eye closed.

- I use one drop and only one because more would just roll out and it doesn't seem to help my complexion to use more would be a waste (if a little does a little good a lot won't do a lot of good).

Just another perspective...cheers...F/G

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
            I use every last drop of this expensive medication.

- I use one drop and only one because more would just roll out
            I totally agree with this. I do the same.

Comment

Thank you all! Great help! Good to have this source of knowledgeable people, when doctors fail.
              I am scared though, and havent dared to try them yet, since I had avery bad experience with Azyter, only 1 drop made eyes burn for days until I used steroids, and I dont have any steroids at home now. Guess I wait until back from business trip to Italy. Cant risk being a total mess there, not to mention the flight - aarggh.
              By the way, found a website for Wiley X. There were so many models. What type do you use, SAAG?

All of you - I hope Restasis doesnt burn and sting all day??

Comment

The first restasis I had was preserved and I used it 3 times. The third time my eyes felt like they had acid thrown into them and burned for 2 days. Of course I quit and when Dr. #2 mentioned it again he got a resounding, thanks but no thanks. He then explained that it was probably the preservative doing it and that I should try the non-preserved kind. I did try it again and have done just fine with it as long as it is unpreserved. It only stings, but just a bit, for a few minutes and if is still bothering me after 15 min then I flush with a regular drop. Usually by 15 min I have forgotten about it so no worries you are not going to be permanently a mess.

Re Wiley's I love my Brick's but I got them through a company called Safevision on the net and they sent me about 6 different frames from different companies. I paid with a visa and they refunded me when I sent them all back. I highly recommend this approach as you can try without buying....F/G

Comment

Well, I started Restasis after my Italian business trip, and a few days in that warm humid weather , 60 %, did wonders for my eyes, I guess I will have to move from cold dry Sweden, hmmm... Anyway, I was so scared after my bad Azyter experience... BUT Restasis did not sting or burn at all! Well, may be some burning in the evening, but not more then It could be from regular dryness or from lubricants which also burns occasionally. I even think eyes feel better after taking Restasis. Now I wonder, if it doesnt sting, do they really work? Also, since I am wearing contacts all day now I cannot keep the 12 hour intervals exactly, is that important? Anyway, hope it continues to go well.

Comment

[QUOTE=sunshinelover;82987 Now I wonder, if it doesnt sting, do they really work? Also, since I am wearing contacts all day now I cannot keep the 12 hour intervals exactly, is that important? Anyway, hope it continues to go well.[/QUOTE]

Yep it is working even if it doesn't sting, and nope the timing is not critical. So glad you feel it is helping...F/G

Comment

Working...
                    X