Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use Restasis vials for multiple doses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use Restasis vials for multiple doses?

New here and not sure if I'm posting this Q in the right forum, so if it should be moved to another place please lmk.

So, I get why the Restasis manufacturer says to only use each vial once then toss it (b/c it's preservative free, risk of infection and then they make more $ of course).

But the vials have the little caps that can be put back on, and each vial looks like it at least enough for 2 doses, maybe even 3 or 4. Which leads me to think people must be using the cap to store the vial and getting more doses out of it. And risk of infection from a contaminated tip that's only been open for less than a day just seems a little far fetched.

So...What's the word on the street? Does anyone use it for more than one dose? How do you store it between doses and for how long do you use the same one?

This medication is so expensive (even with the rewards program it gets expensive over time), plus it just seems so wasteful to throw away so many plastic vials and doses of the medication!
    Last edited by oneblurryeye; 07-Nov-2013, 12:24.

I use the vials until they are empty, usually one per day I guess. I store them in the fridge, as this is the only way I can tolerate them going into my eye...

A lot of folks on here use them until they are empty and just recap it. Make sure the tip doesn't touch anything, I keep it in a shot glass in my fridge.

Good luck!

Comment

When I was on Restasis I was advised by my then ophthalmologist to do exactly what Faith1989 does. Worked fine. No risk of infection if you are careful and refrigerate.

Comment

Hi Oneblurryeye,

Restasis is expensive and I have been using it twice per day for several months (11am and 11pm). After my morning use (being careful not to touch the tip), I recap the vial and stand it up straight in a shot glass on my night-table. I have been doing this for months with no ill effects. Even though th ere seems to be enough left over in the visl for the next day, I'm reluctant to try...I'm happy getting two uses out of a single vial. Also, I'm one of the lucky ones, in that Restasis does not burn my eyes unless they are already irritated at the time of use.

Note: I've read somewhere that it is not recommended that you keep Restasis in the fridge. You may want to check that out.
        Kindest regards,
        rppnj

Comment

i use it til the vial is gone.every doc i have been to said this is fine-refrigerate it and you are good!

Comment

I use it until the vial is empty. I do not refrigerate it nor do I keep it in a shot glass, I keep it on a shelf in my bathroom and am careful not to touch the tip to anything. 18 months, no problems...F/G

Comment

Working...
            X