Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restasis patent ending April 2014 - what is next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restasis patent ending April 2014 - what is next?

Just a general question. What happens when the patent that Restasis has in place runs out next month? I wasn't exactly sure what their patent covered and I'm not familiar with the US pharmaceutical industry. Does Restasis become cheaper for those in the US who have to buy it? Are there other treatments waiting in the wings that can now be released? (well we can dream). Just curious really. I've been reading about a few drugs that are in Phase 3 trials and my Ophth was saying there is something that he thinks looks really promising that he thought would be made available in the next year or two but I can't remember the name argh! I'll ask him when I see him next week.

I would assume that once the patent expires, in addition to brand name Restasis, generics will become available (ie. same active ingredient and strength, just made by a different manufacturer) - that would be awesome news, since that generally means lower prices (if you are willing to try the generic, which I certainly would be!)

Comment

Yes it means that generics will hopefully appear at a much cheaper price. The brand name price may come down somewhat too in response. However outside of the US I don't know how much effect there will be. As restasis isn't even approved for use here in Australia (you have to go through a horrible process of paperwork to get special permission on a per patient basis) and it is highly unlikely that restasis or any generic will ever be listed on the PBS here (ie government subsidised). This may also be the case in the UK.

Comment

Off topic but worth a read: http://www.thepharmaletter.com/artic...cribe-restasis

This may be a better alternative to Restasis in the near future: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/entry...py-for-dry-eye

www.tearsolutions.com

Comment

Did it ended? Any news about generics?

Still not available inEurope, but always good to know!

Comment

Working...
          X