Why Did You Stop Restasis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Did You Stop Restasis?

Thinking of stopping it's use. I've been using it for more than 2 years, but don't know if it's doing anything anymore. It worked great for a long time, but think I may have built up an immunity to it. Wondering why others have stopped it's use..

I used it for a little more then 2 years and stopped exactly for the reasons you mention.

Comment

Originally posted by alisonW View Post
      I used it for a little more then 2 years and stopped exactly for the reasons you mention.
      Thanks Alison...are you better without it, or the same with or without? I fear if I stop things will get worse.

Comment

My eyes feel the same without it. It's been a few years now though since I stopped using it so they may have gotten worse, but not enough that I've noticed a huge difference.

Comment

Restasis was working moderately for me, however I noticed I was getting more ingrown eyelashes and noticed the longer lashes were growing crooked and longer. I never really thought it could be restasis, but in fact, there is some link that it could be according to the literature. Eventually this problem made putting my sclerals in a nuisance as awkward growing eyelashes sprung from behind my fingers and get caught under the scleral lens upon insertion. So I stopped using Restasis due to this problem. 12 months upon ceasing its use, my eyelashes have not normalized.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22291642

Comment

Thanks...I never noticed my eyelashes much before, but now that you mentioned it I do have a few that are pretty long
            Originally posted by DCRdryeye View Post
            Restasis was working moderately for me, however I noticed I was getting more ingrown eyelashes and noticed the longer lashes were growing crooked and longer. I never really thought it could be restasis, but in fact, there is some link that it could be according to the literature. Eventually this problem made putting my sclerals in a nuisance as awkward growing eyelashes sprung from behind my fingers and get caught under the scleral lens upon insertion. So I stopped using Restasis due to this problem. 12 months upon ceasing its use, my eyelashes have not normalized.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22291642

Comment

would you just stop using it or maybe just go to once a day, then stop. do you use other drops as well? I have been using Restasis for almost a year and have just begun to notice a slight difference.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by runnergirl View Post
                would you just stop using it or maybe just go to once a day, then stop. do you use other drops as well? I have been using Restasis for almost a year and have just begun to notice a slight difference.

Thanks
                I would follow the advice of my doctor. I haven't talked to her yet about stopping. The only other drops I use are preservative free eye drops and Systane Gel drops before bed. I also take doxycycline. It took awhile for the restasis to kick in for me too, but once it did I was pretty much symptom free for a long time. Then back in January they just stopped working and now I'm worse than ever.

Comment

Originally posted by runnergirl View Post

Thanks
                  It's about weighing the benefits to cost of using Restasis. If its only a "slight" difference you notice, is it good enough for you? Could that "slight" difference be from something else? eg: improved weather, a change in diet, exercise? Do you have any form of punctal occlusion?

Comment

Originally posted by DCRdryeye View Post
                    It's about weighing the benefits to cost of using Restasis. If its only a "slight" difference you notice, is it good enough for you? Could that "slight" difference be from something else? eg: improved weather, a change in diet, exercise? Do you have any form of punctal occlusion?
                    no plugs for me. I had plugs, but they fell out and I didnt even know it, so I told the doctor not to put them back in. I feel that for now until I can figure all this out, a slight difference is good enough for me. I am one by one trying actions taken from the triumph section here. so far, nothing has worked for me. so I will keep the restasis until I find something better. I may try freshkote next.

Comment

Freshkote is the only thing the relieves burning/pain for any noticeable amount of time for me.

I'm thinking of stopping Restasis because I found literature saying it's been correlated with lymphoma, esp in women.

Comment

Originally posted by hosanna13 View Post
                        I'm thinking of stopping Restasis because I found literature saying it's been correlated with lymphoma, esp in women.
                        People often read about side effects of oral/IV cyclosporine and assume the same happens with topical (e.g., Restasis). I'm not sure that it does.

Comment

I tried Restasis for a few weeks, 8 years ago, and my eyes felt like they were on fire, along with major redness. My eye doc agreed that this product wasn't for me.

Comment

I heard from eye doctor another product for dry eye being available soon

Comment

I speak for all of us when I say "what product?" And. "When?"

Comment

Working...
                              X