This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restasis and Scleral Lenses

Can I still wear scleral lenses and use restasis? I haven't tried restasis since I got my lenses a couple of years ago and I am thinking about trying it again but not sure if I can still wear my lenses while on the drug.

Thanks

Originally posted by grandsporta View Post
    Can I still wear scleral lenses and use restasis? I haven't tried restasis since I got my lenses a couple of years ago and I am thinking about trying it again but not sure if I can still wear my lenses while on the drug.

Thanks
    I wear a scleral lens and use restasis. Both of my eye docs say it is ok to do this. Wait 30 minutes after installing the restasis before putting in the lens. I also wash out my eye after 15 minutes and then install a lubricating drop then my lens. Do not put restasis on top of the lens.

Comment

I do both restasis and sclerals as well and my doctor started me back up on restasis knowing I wear sclerals.

Interesting enough, I haven't heard the wait 30 minutes guidance. Possibly because my scleral and restasis docs are different people and possibly because there doesn't seem to be many "standards" that have been set when it comes to dry eye. Intuitively I figured I should wait some amount of time between the drops and the lenses but now I'll pay more attention to how much.

Comment

I wear Prose lenses and have been using Restasis for many years. More often then not, there is no wait time between dropping the restasis and inserting my lenses. I wake up, put a couple of drops of restasis in and then get my coffee. Perhaps there is a 10 minute wait time at the most.

Comment

Hi to those of you who use Restasis. Has it been effective at reducing the inflammation in your eyes? I have tried it a few years ago hoping it would help with my dry eyes, which it did not after 1 year. At the time I did not have the degree of inflammation I do now. I am wondering if Restasis would reduce my current inflammation, even if it does not help my eyes to feel less dry. I am currently using Fluorometholone (steroid), for the inflammation, but wondering if Restasis would be less harmful that FML, while reducing the inflammation to same degree.

Comment

Originally posted by miki-mama View Post
            Hi to those of you who use Restasis. Has it been effective at reducing the inflammation in your eyes? I have tried it a few years ago hoping it would help with my dry eyes, which it did not after 1 year. At the time I did not have the degree of inflammation I do now. I am wondering if Restasis would reduce my current inflammation, even if it does not help my eyes to feel less dry. I am currently using Fluorometholone (steroid), for the inflammation, but wondering if Restasis would be less harmful that FML, while reducing the inflammation to same degree.
            It works well for me. How it works, I don't know and for that matter neither do the MDs all they have is theory. It has none of the side effects of steroids. The only side effect is burning and that is manageable.

FYI my dry eye is caused by lid damage from Stevens Johnson syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by dryeyedave View Post
              It works well for me. How it works, I don't know and for that matter neither do the MDs all they have is theory. It has none of the side effects of steroids. The only side effect is burning and that is manageable.

FYI my dry eye is caused by lid damage from Stevens Johnson syndrome.
              Hi, there. I am, also, a SJS patient. When you say it works, what specifically do you mean?

May I ask how long into starting on Restasis you have noticed an improvement. I've been told to stick with it as it takes a while for it to show improvement. I have tried it twice in the past 5-6 years. Once I stayed on it for 1 full year, and it didn't seem to make any difference in terms of reducing my symptoms.

Has anyone taken longer than 1 year to see an improvement with Restasis?

Comment

Hi, there. I am, also, a SJS patient. When you say it works, what specifically do you mean?

May I ask how long into starting on Restasis you have noticed an improvement. I've been told to stick with it as it takes a while for it to show improvement. I have tried it twice in the past 5-6 years. Once I stayed on it for 1 full year, and it didn't seem to make any difference in terms of reducing my symptoms.

Has anyone taken longer than 1 year to see an improvement with Restasis?

It worked by making my dry eye better, thats all I can tell you. It started to work at 3 months then continued improving thereafter. I have been on it for two years and I am still making slight improvements. I will point out I started it within two months of the resolution of the acute phase of the SJS reaction. I would also add that if you have not already done so I would get all four tear ducts plugged, this helped tremendously.

Comment

I have all my tear ducts plugged, also. Unfortunately, in my case, I did not start on the Restasis until many years after SJS, and after much of the permanent damages were done. Maybe this is why it isn't effective in my case. Best of luck to you.

Comment

I have all my tear ducts plugged, also. Unfortunately, in my case, I did not start on the Restasis until many years after SJS, and after much of the permanent damages were done. Maybe this is why it isn't effective in my case. Best of luck to you.
                    I would also recommend that you wear moisture chamber glasses as much as possible and consider getting scleral lenses.

Are you under the care of a good ophthalmologist who understands SJS damage?

What is your eye damage? Do you have lid problems? What is your current regimen?

Comment

I do wear the moisture chamber glasses, and they are very helpful. I have also been wearing the scleral lenses. I don't know all the medical terminology for my conditions, but I have dry eyes (Schirmer test score 0 in both eyes), I have had recurring corneal erosions, which stopped after I got the mucous membrane graft done 6 years ago, scarring on my cornea, right worse than left eye. My current regimen is: serum drops, FML and warm compresses, am and pm, Refresh plus every 1 hour or so. I was told that I have 0 production of lipids. My scleral lenses allows me to see 20/20 in my left eye and about 20/30 - 20/40 in my right eye depending on the condition. Are you a SJS patient, dryeyedave?

Comment

Working...
                      X