Delayed action of Restasis - why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delayed action of Restasis - why?

I'm in a pretty bad place right now (see my thread titled "I'm so discouraged and anxious"), and I tend to cope with dry eye symptoms by doing non-stop research. I am going to start Restasis, but it bothers me that I'll have to wait several weeks/months for results, and I wanted to know WHY. It will help me to be patient if I know the reason why it takes so long.

I found this, and wanted to share:
    ""Cyclosporine, which is a very powerful T-cell modulator, inhibits these T lymphocytes from turning on and producing these toxic mediators," Perry said. "By preventing activation of the T-cells, it prevents the feeling of dryness in patients."
    The treatment, however, takes several months to garner full effect. "Lymphocytes live in the body for approximately 110 days," Perry said. "It takes at least 110 days to get all the activated lymphocytes out of the lacrimal gland tissues, because those that are already there are going to keep secreting the inflammatory mediators." Restasis cannot turn off the lymphocytes once they have been activated, it can only prevent the new crop from becoming activated."

I don't know if I can post website links, but to give credit for the above info: http://www.eyeworld.org/article.php?...=ophthalmology
Working...
X