How long is each vial good for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long is each vial good for?

I'm new to this website and was just prescribed Restatis yesterday. Just curious if anyone is using a single vial over a 2 day period? My doc gave me a 30 day supply (16 vials) with the instruction to apply 1 drop to each eye twice daily. I've noticed the package inserts and numerous websites specifically state that each vial should only be used once. My doc also told me to refrigerate the Restatis and gave me a vial holder. Anyone else refrigerating their Restasis? Any specific benefits?

Also, I noticed that when I first applied the Restasis the drop felt really soothing, however it began burning a few minutes later. The burning sensation wasn't too intense and went away after about an hour.

Hi Alex's Mom,

I take a little cobalt blue shotglass, put my restasis in it after opening, then put a little clear glass over it and it actually looks like a miniature lamp in my bathroom. I use the drops til they are all gone and have heard from my dr. that is okay if it is within a few days. Good luck with Restasis. Give it a chance! Judy

Comment

Just curious if anyone is using a single vial over a 2 day period?
      Yes, this is done all the time. This medicine is incredibly expensive and to throw it away according to one eye doc is "like throwing away gold.
      "
      My doc also told me to refrigerate the Restatis and gave me a vial holder. Anyone else refrigerating their Restasis? Any specific benefits?
      Some do, some don't. There is tons of info on this website under Restasis, use search key if you want to read others' experiences.

Also, I noticed that when I first applied the Restasis the drop felt really soothing, however it began burning a few minutes later. The burning sensation wasn't too intense and went away after about an hour.
      This is often reported and if you stop without giving the drops a fair trial (which can seem and be, an eternity) you won't know if they help. Others will add on here, I'm sure.

So, unless you're rich, or your doctor is buying your Restasis, yes use the vial over a couple of days time.
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I keep my vials in the refrigerator during the summer when it's hot, but on the dresser with a bit of aluminum foil covering the tip--in the winter. I use every single drop in the vial before opening another.

I did a bit of research during the summer--about whether to refrigerate or not. The manufacturer does not recommend it (product insert info). I found a website describing the storage limits for the veterenarian cyclosporin products--some of which ARE refrigerated.
        C66

Comment

I think sticking with the doctor's advice is a good idea.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Everyone,

Thanks for the input. Love the shot glass idea! Came home and found a shot glass that fit perfectly over the vial and holder.

Stinging was less today and I only used my Systane drops twice today.

Heading to Hawaii tomorrow where I'm hoping the humidity will be a welcome relief to these eyes!

Comment

Working...
            X