how long does the stinging last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how long does the stinging last?

Just tried Restasis for the first time -- could only use it for three days before I quit. It didn't burn when I first used it, but about 10 minutes after, the burning started and just never stopped. It kept up for three days. I stopped using it 1.5 days ago and my eyelids are still stinging. When will this stop?

Have you tried using regular lubricating drops 15 minutes before and 15 minutes after instillation of the Restasis?
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I did use the drops 15 minutes before, but didn't think to use them 15 minutes after

Comment

I experienced the same kind of burning you describe with the Restasis. I never experienced any stinging upon instillation, but about 30 minutes after instilling it into my eyes they started burning and kept burning until the next dose. The burning never got any better, even though I tried to use it only once a day (right when I went to bed), then every other day. I also tried it with a steroid (Alrex) and with TheraTears but that didn't help. The burning never got any better with time and I used the stuff for months. It was awful and I will never use it again. No thank you, Restasis!
        Cause of dry eyes: Meibomian Gland Dysfunction

Comment

My experience was similar to Green Eyes, but I experienced every side effect listed. The burning, stinging and itching were the worst. I tried Restasis on two separate occasions and it never got any better. Ultimately I discovered that Patanol (a drop used for eye allergy symptoms), eliminated the Restasis side effects. I apparently have a Restasis allergy. I won't be using the stuff again.
          Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys!! I appreciate it. It's been almost three days since I stopped using Restasis and I think the itching is gone (or at least less) and I think the burning may have subsided also (though hard to tell since I have a bad cold at the moment). It just felt like my eyelids were about 3 inches thick, stinging, burning and itching, but not to an extreme degree, just enough so that you'd notice. I don't think Restasis is for me.

Comment

Some people have reported that the side effects lessen with continued use. You might consider trying Restasis for a bit longer, and use your regular drops about 15 minutes after you instill the restasis. I tried it for a month each time.

Comment

I forgot to mention that Restasis not only caused my eyes to burn, but sometimes it also caused me to have very watery eyes (not the good kind). I guess because it was so irritating to my eyes.

I'm glad to hear the burning and itching have subsided. Unfortunately, Restasis may not be for you. Everyone cannot take every medication. A lot of people experience side effects or it just doesn't help them whereas another medicine may. That is why most health conditions have so many medications to choose from, but we do not have anything but Restasis.

I really think it is strange that Restasis is still the only medication to treat such a common condition as dry eyes, which affects at least 15% of the population over age 40. Who knows how much of the population under 40 is now affected due to laser eye surgery. You would think something else would have been approved between now and since Restasis came on the market in 2002. There is definitely a huge market.
                Cause of dry eyes: Meibomian Gland Dysfunction

Comment

I've only been using Restasis for a few weeks. For the first few days, the burning seemed to last for hours, although not intolerable. Now I still feel some burning but it only lasts about 20 minutes. My doctor recommended that I keep the Restasis in the refrigerator and I believe this may actually help. When the drops first go in, the coolness feels really good. It may be worth asking your doctor about refrigeration recommendations. Good luck to you.

Comment

There are numerous posts on here regarding refrigeration of Restasis. The package insert indicates that it should NOT be refrigerated. The product can become unstable/lose effectiveness under refrigeration. This might be why it feels better to use it after it has been in the fridge.

Comment

Restasis caused my eyes to burn for some time after I first used it. Lucky for me, the pain was not unbearable, though a serious nuisance, and I could tolerate it. Over time the burning subsided and now, months later, the drops hardly burn at all, even when freshly instilled. But everyone seems to respond differently.

Comment

Restasis burning

I tried Restasis twice and was unable to tolerate it for more than a week each time due to the burning. The 3rd time, the eye dr. suggested I keep them refrigerated, and it did solve the burning the problem. iwas able to use the drops long enough (several months) to find they did not help me, but I was atleast able to give them a chance.
                        Elaine

Comment

I know someone in an effort to try Restasis resorted to only using them before bed. I believe he felt the drug did improve his condition.

Diana
                          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Working...
                          X