Restasis works well for ocular rosacea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restasis works well for ocular rosacea

For anyone who is interested, I just posted my whole long winded dry eye story in the "your dry eye story" forum. I started using Restasis when I was diagnosed with ocular rosacea. My doctor believes it works well for those of us with this condition because Restasis helps dry eyes by reducing inflammation, and ocular rosacea is an inflammatory condition. I began noticing improvement quite soon after I started using it and have now been using it for about 3 years. Some days it is the only drop I need to use!

Lynnie

ocular rosacea

Hi Lynnie,
    I read your story with great interest; it is very similar to my own. I also have ocular rosacea and MGD and have been on Restasis for about three months. It has helped my symptoms but my MGD is still quite bad. I am thinking about asking my dr. about DHEA drops. These drops are supposed to control the quality and or quanitity of oily secretions produced by the gland. Just wondering how your MGD is doing and if you experience really severe eye dryness while sleeping.This is my worst time. My meibomian glands seem to excrete too much oil or none at all and the oil is too thick. My eyes are an absoute mess in the morning -- dry, brittle eyelashes. These symptoms have just appeared in the last year and despite months on doxy, fish oil supplements, warms compresses, etc. I can't seem to get things under control. Curious if you have any advice, and/or, if you've heard about the DHEA drops.

Thanks for your post in the My Story section, I could certainly relate to it!

Comment

Pinky - I sent this in reply to your email, but here it is as well:

hi Pinky! I honestly don't know "officially" how my MGD is - I do know that I am comfortable most of the time now - but I am quite a ways out from the starting block with my ocular rosacea - it took me about a year and a few months to get under good control. sounds like you are still just in the starting block ;-). I was on doxy for over a year, which helped until the restasis, metrogel and lifestyle/dietary changes kicked in - then I stopped the doxy as I don't like taking oral antibiotics long term. It took about 4-5, maybe even 6 months for the restasis to show it's full effects, so hang in there. Do you use metrogel on your lower lids? the label will say that it is not for ocular use, but eye docs prescribe it for this all the time - the theory is that since it is an anti-inflammatory for the skin that if used - carefully -on the eyelids it can help with the lower lid inflammation as well- thus helping the glands there. I use it twice a day after washing my eyes and face , spreading it to just under my lower eyelashes - and I give it at least 15 minutes to dry and sink in before I put any moisturizer or make up on. and oh yah -I guess in my posting I forgot to mention that early on in my dry eye treatment I actually had my lower punctal openings cauterized so they are permanently closed. maybe I should add a notation to that effect!

My eyes are ok at night as I put in my Restasis drops right before I close my eyes for the night so they really sink in. sometimes if I wake up during the night I will put in a drop of Dwelle but I don't even have to do that all the time anymore.

I heard many years ago about the androgen eyedrops but didn't know they were available yet - definitely keep me posted on that please - it sounds pretty promising.

So, keep up with your routine, consider trying Metrogel, if you haven't pinned down your triggers yet, keep working on that, and also - if you aren't using the Dakrina drops during the day I highly recommend those - they have a healing effect on the cornea. they sting a bit upon installation but overall have really helped me. good luck and keep me posted as to how you are doing or if I can answer any other questions :-)

Lynnie

Comment

Hi, Lynnie. I have ocular rosacea as well and I was wondering if you had noticeable blood vessels on your eyes and if the restasis has helped get rid of those at all, because I am really bothered by the blood vessels now visible on my eyes. It makes me so self concious I dont even want to look people in the eye when I talk to them anymore.

Comment

hi Miranda - sorry for this really late reply and for the trouble you are having. I don't get a chance to check out the boards thoroughly very often. re blood vessels from ocular rosacea, I haven't had that. from time to time my eyes get red if they are irritated enough. The restasis has really helped me as well as Dr. Holly's Dakrina drops - they have a healing effect on the eye. you can purchase them on this website. they sting a bit upon installation but that goes away quickly. I'm not sure how far along you are in getting your rosacea "under control" - could be if you are not under good control that is why you have the vessels and that once you obtain control of the symptoms they will go away? Are you under the care of a good dry eye doctor? If not, and you can't find one, maybe you could post a question about this to one of the doctors on this site?

If you have any more questions about my experience with ocular rosacea, please send me a personal message. Lynnie

Comment

Hi Lynnie,

I have MGD/ocular rosacea and I've found great relief with doxy. I just want to switch to Restatis now. Does Restatis burn your eyes? I can't even use Restatis twice a day due to burning. I can instill Restatis only at bedtime.
            Thanks,

George

Comment

restasis

hi George - I will send you a personal message with the routine I used to acclimate to using Restasis (it's pretty lengthy). I worked into it gradually as I had the stinging trouble as well and had given up on it once. It has been very helpful with my ocular rosacea and I haven't had to use doxy since after the first year I was diagnosed. :-) lynnie

Comment

Working...
              X