Restasis-induced blood pressure spike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restasis-induced blood pressure spike

I was chatting today with a patient who has lupus, Sjogren's and some other health problems as well as severe dry eye. She works in an ophthalmology practice. She mentioned that although her dry eye symptoms benefitted from Restasis, her doctor had to take her off it because her blood pressure shot up nearly to stroke level (just diastolically) when she was taking it. Such a potential risk is not mentioned in the Restasis labelling and she now mentions this to people she knows who are on Restasis just by way of encouraging them to have their BP monitored now and then if appropriate.

I'm not trying to scare Restasis users as I know many patients are benefitting from the drug, and as it is not mentioned in the labelling it must be very rare. I am mentioning it so that people who have general health problems and are on Restasis can be made aware that it might make sense for them to keep an eye on their blood pressure.

Between this and the Rebamipide side effects reported here, I've really been impressed lately with the potential seriousness of non-ocular side effects of some eyedrops. It's been a sobering reminder to approach drugs with caution and in the context of one's general health.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Side effects thru eye drops

Although this has no bearing on dry eyes, I am reminded of my mother. She had breast cancer 25 years ago. Then she developed a spot on her eye. It turned out she had cancer in her eye.....it was the breast cancer! The docs said that there are so many blood tiny vessels in your eye, that your eye absorbs and filters everything.
    I don't understand it, but since then I have always been aware that anything we put in the eye can impact the body.
    It seems so innocent....just putting drops in my eyes....that's all....
    Good reminder, Rebecca.
    PS - mother's fine. Eye was removed, of course.

Comment

Working...
    X