Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Restasis users

Hi,

I have been using Restasis since April. I think it is helping my eyes. However, since that time, I have had lab work showing that my white blood cell count has gone down. I had the test repeated and it has gone down more. Since the first one was close to normal, my guess is I was normal not that long ago. To my memory, I have not had a low white blood cell count. This all seems to coincidental with using Restasis. I know that it says that it is not absorbed systemically, however some of it has to be if it is draining into the lacrimal duct.

My question for Restasis users is, when you instill the drops, do you plug your lacrimal duct for a few minutes with your eye closed or do you just put the drop in and close your eye. I am considering going off the Restasis for a while and seeing if it makes a difference in my WBC count.

Thanks.
    dryeyes2

Hey

Hey,

I have used Restasis for a while now, and I just instill a few drops and then close my eyes for one-two minutes.

WBC counts vary all the time. Just because you have a low WBC count does not necessarily mean you have a medical problem associated with restasis.

I would suggest modifying your diet with antioxidants (such as vitamin C) to help boust your immune system. Also, if you are under a lot of stress it can suppress your immune system leading to lower WBC counts. I think adequate dietary changes and exercises will help boost your immune system to "normal" levels again.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Dryeye22 for the input.

I am not under a lot of stress and I do watch what I eat, take supplements and exercise. I am concerned because it was 3.8 about a month and a half ago and now it is down to 3.1. I feel fine. I just think it is strange that this all seemed to happen while on Restasis. I am more concerned that the problem isn't related to Restasis and honestly, I would prefer it was because I would just quit the medication and it would go away. I don't want to think about the alternative reasons for it going low.

dryeyes2

Comment

Hey,

Hmmm.....I don't know then.....When this whole dry eye started I thought I might have an autoimmune disease, so I had blood work done regurally. It became a huge pain b/c i have the smallest viens known to man. Anyway, my WBC counts would very all time too. Never high (which is probably a good thing b/c that is a sign of infection) but sometimes they dropped low too. I think as long as you are in the normal low range you are fine.

I would wait a little while and see if it resolves on its own.

Comment

I cannot comprehend any link with a low WBC and Restasis. The correct way to instill any medicated eye drop is to instill the drop and then gently put pressure on the puncta for a minute or two to prevent the drop from draining away immediately.
          Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

cyclosporin

Hi Kitty,

The concern I have is that Restasis main ingredient is cyclosporin which is used for people have transplants. That medication can cause leukopenia. I am also on nifedipine. If that medication is taken with cyclosporin, it can cause in increase in the amount of cyclosporin in the blood. I know that Restasis says that it is not absorbed to the degree that it should matter, but if I am on both of these and there is some absorption and it is increased because of the nifedipine, I wonder if that could be causing this problem.
            I have had other drugs affect me in strange ways that aren't supposed to happen. It all seems like a strange coincidence.

Thanks.
            dryeyes2

Comment

One way to know for sure is to stop the Restasis for a few months and have a WBC repeated then. I would discuss this with your doctor.
              Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by dryeyes2
                Hi Kitty,

The concern I have is that Restasis main ingredient is cyclosporin which is used for people have transplants. That medication can cause leukopenia. I am also on nifedipine. If that medication is taken with cyclosporin, it can cause in increase in the amount of cyclosporin in the blood. I know that Restasis says that it is not absorbed to the degree that it should matter, but if I am on both of these and there is some absorption and it is increased because of the nifedipine, I wonder if that could be causing this problem.
                I have had other drugs affect me in strange ways that aren't supposed to happen. It all seems like a strange coincidence.

Thanks.
                dryeyes2
                So go see your doctor and tell him this exact same thing, although I highly doubt the restasis is making your WBC change. It's most likely a coincidence that you happen to be on restasis while your WBC is changing.

I happen to be a transplant recipient, i'm actually on my 2nd transplant. (Kidney) I have taken cyclosporin (the actual medicine, not meds with it in it..) along with nifedipine and a few other drugs that may have that effect.. and I haven't had problems or anything like your describing with my labs. I am also on Restasis, and I have been for a long time. Just my 2 cents that it's a coincidence and maybe something else is going on with ya.

Angela

Comment

Thanks

Angela,

Thanks for your input. Hopefully it is nothing and it will go back up. They did a differential with a smear and it was just low PMN, everything else looked normal. I am hoping it will all go back to normal. I just never had this happen and it seemed strange after going on the Restasis. I will be seeing my doc next month and I will let her know my thoughts on this.

Thanks again.
                  Best wishes,
                  dryeyes2

Comment

Working...
                  X