Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using same Restasis vial twice a day (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using same Restasis vial twice a day (?)

I've been oon Restasis for 2 years. I don't know if htey are helping or not but I'm doing ok so I don't want to stop them eother. I think what helps most are the compreses and the fish oil.
    I'm on a very tight budget now so I was thinking of using the same Restasis vial twice a day = open it, using it in the morning, keep it in the refrigerator then using it again at night.
    I've never done it, althouigh my dry eye ophtalmologist provided me with the vial suppot plastic holder.
    Who is doing this and what is your ex[erience. I need to save $$ and Restasis is very expensive. I feel bad using the vial for one drop only and then trash it.
    Dr eyes caused by long term contact lens wear

My eye doctor told me I could do the same thing. Just don't let the top of the open vial touch anything. Also, read the package insert and the info online. Refrigeration is not recommended. I set mine in a small glass inside the microwave so the cats and air would not get to it. No problems. Just remember to take it out before you nuke something!
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Saving Restasis vial for 12 hours; transitioning to Freshkote

My ophthalmologist also openly recommended that I use each Restasis vial twice, saving the open vial in a sealed baggie, for its second use. He urged me to use the open vial, however, within 12 hours of its being opened. . .

I should add that I was on Restasis for well over 3 years when I summoned the courage to ask for something new. . .The Restasis definitely eliminated my burning pain, and may have protected the ocular surface in some way, but I'm now on a month-long trial of Freshkote, post-Restasis, and finding it to be an amazing product for my largely MGD-caused symptoms. . .Burning pain is gone, and there are none of the raw, cold, sensations of Restasis to deal with. . .In a few weeks, my doc will re-measure my TBUT. . .It remained at about 0 seconds for the whole time I was on Restasis. . .

I had to beg my doc to give me a FreshKote sample, as she was not real keen on the product. . .But so far, for me, it is a brand new experience. . .The first really effective tear replacement I've tried in 9 years. . .
      <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Restasis

Go to the Restasis site and join My Tears. Get one free tray for every 7 you buy. Get a $20 rebate on the 4th one also. I don't have insurance so I joined it. I also am careful and use the vial over again. I can't afford to waste it. It's close to $110 at Costco. Twice a day is fine as that is what my doctor told me to do, I do go for 3 treatments from one vial. So far it's been okay. I know I will be giving them up soon as I get the 7 trays and use up what I have. Unless a rich relative all of a sudden shows up.

Comment

So none of you refrigerate it?
          I thought that's the way to keep it safe from bacteria to grow....
          I keep the temp in my apartment at 76 F or more when I'm not here to try to save $ in electricitity bill. Aggain...me the cheepo. I really hate to throw the vial away when I see it almost full!
          Thanks for the tips.
          By the way has anyone asked Allergan if they recomend re using the vial?

Hey, regarding Freshkote...where in the world do you get it? is it an eye drop lmore like systayne or it makes you produce more tears, like supposedly Restasis?

Comment

Originally posted by Maria1972
            So none of you refrigerate it?
            I thought that's the way to keep it safe from bacteria to grow....
            I keep the temp in my apartment at 76 F or more when I'm not here to try to save $ in electricitity bill. Aggain...me the cheepo. I really hate to throw the vial away when I see it almost full!
            Thanks for the tips.
            By the way has anyone asked Allergan if they recomend re using the vial?

Hey, regarding Freshkote...where in the world do you get it? is it an eye drop lmore like systayne or it makes you produce more tears, like supposedly Restasis?

I doubt Allergan would ever recommend reusing the vial. First, legal liability for potential infection with contamination of the tip/contents. Second, they make more money selling more vials. Shhhhhhhhhhhh, I don't want them to get any ideas. Don't tell them what you have been up to. They might put less in each vial!
            Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I sometimes open a vial of Restasis in the morning and empty it's contents into two re-sealable vials that I have. One Restasis = 2 re-sealable vials.

"Minims Artificial Tears" come in re-sealable vials. Not much good for dry eye but great vials! I re-use the vials over and over by steaming them in the microwave (baby bottle microwave kit) every now and then to cleanse them.

The only hassle is doing the transfer every morning, however, I suppose I could go a step further and empty a whole load of Restasis into a few weeks worth of vials.......not sure if that would be ok though.

PS. You can buy Minims Artificial Tears on the web I believe.

PPS. I have tried and tried and tried to buy some "empty" vials but no luck so far.

Ian.

Comment

I just twist the top off, then place the vial upright in a little cup with a little cup upside down on top. But you could use foil on the top or something. My dr. said to be sure to use within 24 to 36 hours, which means you can get 3 to 4 applications out of each vial which is very nice... Transferring the drops around doesn't sound like a very good idea to me, but, whatever works!!

Comment

Originally posted by kitty
                  I doubt Allergan would ever recommend reusing the vial. First, legal liability for potential infection with contamination of the tip/contents. Second, they make more money selling more vials. Shhhhhhhhhhhh, I don't want them to get any ideas. Don't tell them what you have been up to. They might put less in each vial!

My eye Dr just put me on Restasis and instructed me to use the same vial two times, 12 hours apart. She even provided a small plastic stand for the vials to keep tthe tip upright. It is basically a small, two inch high, blue plastic cone with a slit a the top. She said they were sent to her by the manufacturer for this very purpose. There is even a small Allergen logo printed on the stand, so it is legit. The doc said to just leave it on my bathroom counter top; she said nothing about refrigerating. Hope this info helps.

Comment

Kitty, Is there a cover on the top to keep the tip from being exposed to contamination?

Comment

I also have the blue vial plastic stand (that holds the vial) and I can 't belive I spoke to my eye docotr today to ask him for restasis refills and forgot to ask this question, he was in a rush and I forgot!! I gues my dilema now is where is the best place to keep the open vial.
                      I re-use Systayne vials when I'm at work, the same vial I recap and use it within a few hrs (4 -6 hrs), even though the systayne box tell you it is a single use. I can understand that it is not a good idea to leave them open for many hrs for diferent factors. I though heat was important one so I though the refrigerator was a good place to keep. It definitely has to be a Very clean enviroment and the right temp. So far I didn't hear anyone who tried and it didn't work, so I guess I'll try it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Judy
                        Kitty, Is there a cover on the top to keep the tip from being exposed to contamination?
                        No cover. If you stand it up in a small CLEAN glass, it should not get contaminated. You could cover the glass with some plastic wrap to keep the air away.

Comment

Originally posted by kitty
                          No cover. If you stand it up in a small CLEAN glass, it should not get contaminated. You could cover the glass with some plastic wrap to keep the air away.
                          That's what I do, too. I crumpled a sandwich baggie in a small juice glass, which holds the vial in place and prevents the tip from touching anything.

Comment

my eye dr said to stick the Restasis vial in the fridge after using. I get about two days worth of drops out of each vial (2x per day in each eye). I use the little blue stand w/ the foil on top.

Comment

Per my doctor's recommendation, I always keep Restasis in the refrigerator and use each vial over two days (4 applications). My doctor also gave me the blue vial holder provided by the manufacturer. Tip: If you can find one of those old Planet Hollywood shot glasses, you will find it fits perfectly over the vial holder. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X