Is reusing restasis bottles okay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is reusing restasis bottles okay?

When i open my restasis I use it twice day and night but use the same bottle and don't dispose of it. Is that okay or do you guys throw away the bottle after you use it one time?

I know it says on direction to use the bottle once and then throw it away. But does it really matter if you use the bottle more then once?

My doctor said yes, but you should probably throw it away at the end of the day (after two doses).

Comment

Folks,

[brief lecture]

I would like to urge everyone to ask their doctor about directions for use of prescription drugs. Asking others here their experiences in addition is fine, but your doctor is the one who has prescribed it and is responsible to answer your questions and give you instructions. Try them first. Often a quick call to the office is all that's needed.

A doctor-patient relationship is a two-way street. We need to be able to trust our doctor and they need to have confidence that we'll be compliant. If we return for an appointment six months later and say "Well, I read on the internet that it's OK to do thus-and-such so that's what I've been doing" despite directions to the contrary, it doesn't exactly help build the relationship. If the reason for not complying is because the doctor is unwilling to answer questions and/or unwilling to discuss information learned online that you want him/her to consider, that may be a sign that it's time to find a new doctor.

Bottom line, I want this forum to enhance - not act as a substitute for - doctor-patient relationships.

[lecture over]
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Well I can't really call the doctor on the phone. I just want see what other people do when they use restasis.

Comment

Personally I reuse my restasis vial up to 4 administration, so two days. I keep it under a clean overturned jug with the tip not touching anything. I decided to proceed so after hearing many people advised to do so by their docs.

Comment

Originally posted by TRiBaL
            Well I can't really call the doctor on the phone.
            Out of curiosity: Why not?
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

...because the doctor has not prescribed it?
              Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Because I don't have a family doctor and when I call their usually always busy. So I have to wait 3 months down the road to ever get a hold of a eye doctor

Comment

Right now im using the same vial twice a day.

Comment

At most doctors' offices, you can leave a message and request to be called back.
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

This is advice I got from a local eye doctor. Use it at your own risk. She said that Restasis vials can be reused, but after 12 hours, throw it out. If you were using it twice a day, that would mean two doses, then toss it. Allergan even makes a little blue stand for opened vials, leading me to believe that they feel reuse is safe, at least to a point.
                      Lest anyone wonder why we are having this discussion at all, here is the reason: Restasis is not preserved. This means that once you open the vial, it is possible for it to become contaminated with bacteria and other nasties. Since chronically dry eyes are said to be more succeptible to bacterial infection, this is worth knowing. However, keeping the vial in a clean environment seems to minimize this risk to an acceptable level. Tribal- if you are seeing a doctor who you can't call between appointments, get another one fast. (unless you are stuck because of insurance reasons)

Comment

Working...
                      X