how long before restasis works??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how long before restasis works??

Does anyone have experience with beginning use with restasis? Started it Sept. 17th......along with Lotemax. Used lotemax for one month then stopped, now only using restasis. I make very little if any tears and have some very slight improvement. Have Hashimotos Thyroid disorder and Dr's believe I have Sjogren's (although I do not have swollen joints, glands or excessively dry mouth) It has been years since I can remember not having dry eyes (I am 46yrs old) Has anyone had good luck with Restasis???? I gave up punctal plugs to try restasis. Any input is helpful.

Most recent studies show Restasis works best with punctal plugs. So you might have them reinserted. The Restasis submission to the FDA showed 17%(I think will double check in the morning) of those with Sjogrens recieved benefit even with plugs.

Comment

Hi,

I've been on Restasis for a month or so now..........and I remember looking it up at the beginning and folks were saying it could be 6 months or more before any benefit is realized.

Folks are also saying that if you have both plugs fitted in the eye you are using restasis on then use artificial tears about 15 minutes afterwards otherwise you'll have the Restasis hanging about too long and stinging un-necessarily.

Be nice to hear other opinions........

Ian.

Comment

I've been on Restasis since July 5th. I notice a little improvement, but my doctor said that he was going to keep me on it for a year before trying to get me off of it, so I would concur with the others who say that it must take a long time to work.

I wanted to respond to IanJ about adding bland tears 15 minutes after installation. When I put in artificial tears within an hour of the Restasis drops, it feels to me like I just added more Restasis. In short, it burns again. I do not understand that, but I thought I would mention it. The Restasis must "stick" in the eye for a long time. I'll try the 15-minute thing. Thanks, IanJ.

--Liz

Comment

Originally posted by liz56
          I wanted to respond to IanJ about adding bland tears 15 minutes after installation. When I put in artificial tears within an hour of the Restasis drops, it feels to me like I just added more Restasis. In short, it burns again. I do not understand that, but I thought I would mention it. The Restasis must "stick" in the eye for a long time. I'll try the 15-minute thing. Thanks, IanJ.
          --Liz
          Liz, I think I have experienced that also.........I can only think that some Restasis dries on the eye-lid and when you add bland tears afterwards it "wets up" the dried Restasis and into the eye.
          Just a theory you'll understand....

Ian.

Comment

restasis

thanks for the input. 17% doesnt sound like a promising number for us sjogrens patiences. I do feel some relief, maybe adding the puntal plugs back in is a good idea. I have only heard in the past, that you should not use both plugs and restasis because you were not draining out the T-cells that cause the inflammation.

Comment

plugs/restasis/artificial tears

I agree with you on the burning after instilling art. tears after restasis. I have found that using the method Dr. Latkany recommends....warm compress, expressing oil prior to instilling restasis is best. I think the oil helps protect your eyes from the meds getting right on your already dry eye! It has helped me a lot. Also, I have found that instilling the restasis before my morning shower greatly reduces the stinging. Must be the moisture from the shower that helps. Good Luck

Comment

Reet,
                What causes the inflammation of the ocular surface is tear film hyperosomolarity of the tear film. The osmolarity can only be reduced by increased tear film on the eye, several studies have shown punctal occlussion accomplishes this. Once the osmoloarity is lowered you reduce the environment for inflammation to exist.

Comment

Originally posted by indrep
                  Reet,
                  What causes the inflammation of the ocular surface is tear film hyperosomolarity of the tear film. The osmolarity can only be reduced by increased tear film on the eye, several studies have shown punctal occlussion accomplishes this. Once the osmoloarity is lowered you reduce the environment for inflammation to exist.
                  Thank you for the information. Do they recommend waiting a number of months of being on restasis before inserting plugs. I believe I read somewhere that you should wait a bit. Also, any long term negative effects of restasis?

Comment

Originally posted by liz56
                    When I put in artificial tears within an hour of the Restasis drops, it feels to me like I just added more Restasis. In short, it burns again.
                    It's possible the Restasis and the bland drop you're using aren't compatible. Have you tried just leaving the Restasis in for 5 minutes or less? My doctor advised that because I have all 4 puncta plugged and my eyes are really sensitive right now. I leave in the Restasis just until I feel the "chemical sensation" of it, then rinse out with Tears Nuturale Free.

Calli

Comment

Reet
                      There was some early discussion of that but the last two onliine CME courses Allergan offered had 7 of 8 patients started on with Restasis either had plugs, had plugs inserted at start of restasis or had them inserted within six weeks

Comment

Tried IanJ's Suggestion

I tried using a bland drop about 15 minutes after Restasis last evening, and it seems to have made my eyes feel better, so thanks for the tip!

Thanks, too, Cali66, for helping me think through what is happening. I have used different drops, so that is what made me think that it is the Restasis (rather than the bland drop) that stings.

Comment

Working...
                        X