Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, Missy.

I see that you are awaiting a reply.

Acular, or any NSAID, will not improve the effectiveness of the Restasis. Acular is supposed to relieve the "stinging and burning" of the Restasis.

If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to email me.

DrG

Comment

An Important Caveat

Restasis helps with the inflammatory side of the equation. If, in time, it produces more tears, we still don't know about the quality and composition of those new tears.

It is still important to continue using artificial tears to promote the healing of the corneal surface. Dakrina promotes the healing of the corneal surface.

I would suggest using Restasis twice daily, and Dakrina in between.

DrG
      Last edited by DrG; 15-Sep-2005, 04:43. Reason: clarification

Comment

welcome back, Dr G.

Comment

Originally posted by homes
          welcome back, Dr G.
          Thank-you, sir.

DrG

Comment

Restasis

I am one of the fortunate patients who has done well with Restasis. I have not had Lasik surgery, I recently had cataract surgery.
            I found some burning with Restasis but nothing I couldn't tolerate. I have Lupus and deal with much pain and perhaps I've just built up a tolerace to pain. But truly, I am thankful for Restasis and want to continue on it. No, it isn't a cure, I still have to use other lubricating drops, but I am sure better than I used to be.

Happy user, Marilyn

Comment

I've been using the Restasis about four months and my eyes feel SO MUCH BETTER! At first, the drops did burn and sting a little for a few days but that subsided and stopped. I use over-the-counter drops so much less frequent now. I am really pleased thus far.

Comment

so far so good with Restasis

I, too, had cataract surgery resulting in dry eye. I am three weeks on Restasis and my Schimmer test went from "cannot calculate" to three. I look with anticipation to over five. So far so good--no significant burning. I am down to Genteal in the morning before really waking up and systane in the late afternoon. However, I understand that every good day is just that. I am waiting until my eyes are more stable to have the surgery on the other eye.

Comment

"So far so good." -Fernellen.
                  Me, too. Three Weeks and counting. This is my second try with Restasis--the first time was for 3 months and the drops burned EVERY DAY. It was a disaster. This time, my eyes don't burn and I feel like they are moister. I think my eyes were too raw when I tried Restasis before, but since I've been using Genteal Gel at night, and have quit using saline solution (for eyedrops), I'm much better.

My Schirmer score was 2 mm before (last July), and I can hardly wait to test again to see if there is measurable improvement. But even if it isn't, my eyes definitely feel better than last year---Self Care and Education and Dry Eye Talk.

C66

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris
                    I've heard of this happening, in fact I think it's been mentioned here on the BB. Which interests me, not least because the Restasis website says that increased tear production was NOT seen in patients using punctal plugs (see this link).
                    Sorry, I know this is an old thread but when I read this on the website I interpreted it a different way.

'Increased tear production was not seen in patients using topical anti-inflammatories (steroids) or those using punctal plugs'

Allergan make a big point of the fact that restasis is the only available treatment on the market that can actually increase tear production. Meaning that steroids and punctal plugs may help symptoms but CANNOT increase tear production.

I didnt take it as 'its not effective if you have plugs in' etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ken maller
                      restasis really burns and is really uncomfortable but at the end its worth it. i took it twice for three months each time and my eyes are better
                      I just started using restasis, one week after I had lower punctual plugs inserted and one week after I started on lotemax.

First drop feels great - took out the inflamation, no stinging. We will see how it goes. One thing that I wonder: do I have to use this medication all my life? Or will this be a permanent cure?

Thx

Deniz

Comment

My eye doc told me if it worked, I would use it for the rest of my life. Either the package insert or the website, I can't remember which, says that symptoms will return after Restasis is discontinued. I noticed a difference about 10 days after I stopped using it.
                        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

stopping restasis

Hmm.. That's not good. So restasis is a temporary fix - though a very relieving one.

I wonder about its side effects after extended use. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                          X