restasis break?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restasis break?

I'll bring this up with my doc next appt, but wanted to get some feedback here.

If you stop taking restasis to see the difference w/out it, do you go back to square one? As in, if it does appear to help will it take 2 months to become helpful again?

Thanks all. Restasis seems to be helping a little, now I'm wondering if it's helping or is it just a natural change in my eyes.

I'd keep taking the Restasis until you speak with your doc. If you think it's working, it probably is. If it's helping now, chances it might help even more in a month or two. You have nothing to gain by stopping now. Keep it up for a couple of months more and then decide if you want to take a break.

Restasis takes up to 6 months (or more) to work in some cases. By stopping, it seems you'd lose the progress. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

That's great advice, Lucy. I completely agree with Lucy, Need2Know, that you should stay on your doctor's program.

I did not like taking Restasis, but it *did* work for me. I am off of it right now, because I was prescribed it to combat RCE's on one of two fronts-- Restasis for dry-eye syndrome and an osmotic eye drop to help the epithelium to adhere to the basement membrane.

When I got off of Restasis, I did so gradually, reducing to once a day then to every other day, and so on until I went without it. I did feel, after going to every other day that my eyes were too dry in the evening, so I bought Refresh Endura, which has (as an inactive ingredient) castor oil, the vehicle that is in Restasis. It helped to ease me off of it.

--Liz

Comment

i used Restasis for 7 months-it was helping but I didn't realize how much until after i decided not to take it anymore (i was moving across the country and was really stressed and thought I didn't need it anymore). Anyway, I started taking it again after a 2 month break-during those 2 months the first month i felt about the same but the 2nd month was horrible. Now I have been on it again for over 7 months and finally seem to be making a few more tears. I went to my doctor a few weeks (a new doc) and he said that if you stop taking it it is like starting all over because the Restasis works on the t-cells and once you stop taking it and start again-I guess it works on totally new cells---sorry this is so unscientific the way i am wording it. Also-I go to Dr. Foulks (sometimes he is mentioned on here-great doc!) and he said it can take up to ONE YEAR for the full effect of Restasis.. So at 7 months I am feeling a little better if I could just get even more tears in the next 5 months that would be wonderful!

anyway, i was wondering if you ever stoped taking it or if you continued and if so have seen improvements? I hope you are improving either way..
        Jenny

Comment

Working...
        X