X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drier with Restasis??

Hi,

I've been diagnosed with ocular rosacea by Dr. Latkany and have been using cyclosporine eyedrops (compounded from Leiters) for three months 2x/day. I have noticed that my eyes feel much drier (sometimes feeling bone dry), even though I am supplementing with preservative-free artificial tears. Has anyone experienced this? My eyes just feel so uncomfortable, it is hard to think about anything else.

Anyone had this experience with Restasis or cyclosporine eyedrops??

Curly

I found the side effects of Restasis to be similar to the symptoms I have with DES, only more intensified. Have you tried using your regular drops 15 minutes before Restasis, and then again 15 minutes after? My doc recommended this. It did nothing for me, I had a significant hypersensitivity to the Restasis and had to stop using it. The only way I could tolerate it is to use Patanol 15 minutes after Restasis.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Kitty,

I am super-sensitive to preservatives, so Patanol wouldn't be an option. Everything seems to work the opposite way that it should with me (steroids do not help inflammation, warm - not hot - compresses irritate my otherwise normal eyelids, and now the cyclosporine reaction). EEK! Just want something to get me comfortable.

Curly

Comment

Originally posted by curlygrl31 View Post
        Kitty,

I am super-sensitive to preservatives, so Patanol wouldn't be an option. Everything seems to work the opposite way that it should with me (steroids do not help inflammation, warm - not hot - compresses irritate my otherwise normal eyelids, and now the cyclosporine reaction). EEK! Just want something to get me comfortable.

Curly
        I was not recommending Patanol. I would try the regular eye drops 15 minutes before and after the cyclosporin/Restasis. If that does not work and you cannot tolerate the effects of the Restasis, you can always go off of it. Something else to consider is the type of solution/vehicle they put the cyclosporin in. Some believe it is the vehicle that is irritating to them. As you are using a compounding pharmacy, they may be able to put the cyclosporin in something else. Here is a link to more info about Restasis: http://www.dryeyezone.com/encyclopedia/restasis.html Also use the Search feature here and you will find lots more info about how people do or do not tolerate it.
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I have a similar experience with Restasis. For the first 5 or so minutes, it is fine. But then my eyes become very dry and burn quite bad. There's about a 10minute period where I just have to close my eyes. I'm willing to pay this price if it works... but not seeing any benefits yet (>2 months).

Comment

Mine are drier all day long, not just the hour or two after application. Even preservative-free lubricating drops do not help with the dry feeling (and believe me, I've tried every brand!!). Isn't that odd? Am I alone in this? How could cyclosporine and/or restasis make me feel DRIER??????

Curly

Comment

hello

I hated restasis - never really worked for me - burned like crazy and never helped - I would put it in in the evening and my eyes would hurt no matter what drop I put in....So I gave it up

Comment

Working...
              X