This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 vial= 2 doses (1 day)

I store the vial in my bedroom (bedside table) when I am away at school and on my bathroom counter or kitchen counter when I am visiting home.

I store the vial in a little blue holder that I originally got with my Restasis when I first started using it.

I do NOT plug the opening with an object.

I do NOT travel with open vials.
    -Amy

Comment

Me too, I use that little blue thing.

I use 2 drops or so a day. Usually store it in the lil butter area of the fridge, well its the lil restasis area in my fridge.
      Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

I thought the Restasis vials were "single use".

Monica.

Comment

I'm curious how they would determine where contamination started. The ocular surface has contaminants enter it constantly. Did he give you any thoughts?

Comment

Restasis

I believe a study has been conducted by Allergan that demonstrated that the open vial was very difficult to contaminate. (Perhaps because of the tiny diameter of the hole in the top.)If you ever saw the artificial tear bottles patients carry in their pockets or purses, you would be really surprised. Even though they have preservatives, they are filthy. You should probably be more concerned about a toothbrush kept in a bathroom as mist from toilets travels a great distance.
            Dr. P

Comment

Just curious!

One said that she thought she received a bad batch or two. Do any of you also think you received a bad batch.

I use restasis three times a day and use the same vile for two days left in a baggie in the fridge.

Should it not be refrigerated????

Best wishes,
              Melissa
              pianolady

Comment

I use one vial 2x a day for 2 days and keep it in the refrigerator. I put the vial in a shot glass and cover it with cellophane. If I'm traveling somewhere I don't reuse vials unless I have access to a fridge and a clean container. I prefer using my Restasis cold because it feels more soothing that way and takes away some of the sting.

Comment

restasis use

Originally, I used one vial twice and day (opening fresh in the evening/reusing in the morning) and leaned the open vial against the backsplash of my bathroom sink overnight. I tossed it in the morning. Then, I just discovered several months ago that the little lid could be popped back on! Since then, I've been using the Restasis four times - same routine as above - except that after I pop the top back on, I lay it sideways on a small jewelry box next to my bathroom sink. If I have any question about having contaminated a vial, of course, I go ahead with a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                    They would like to learn from dry eye patients their various re-use habits and storage systems.

Relevant information includes:
                    - for how long do you use one vial (1 dose, 1 day, more than 1 day)
                    - where do you keep the open vial (bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, refrigerator)
                    - do you have specific storage routines (in a shot glass; in a Kleenex; in a specified stable location but not otherwise enclosed)
                    - do you plug the opening with an object (toothpick, needle, safety pin)
                    - do you travel with open vials (briefcase, luggage) and if so how do you protect the vial.
                    - Use each vial until it's empty. This was my doctor's advice. Typically this is about three days.
                    - Open vials are returned to the white plastic box they came in and keep them in a corner of my kitchen counter. The package inserts says to keep between 59 and 77 deg. F, so obviously no refrigeration.
                    - No plugs are used
                    - When I travel with open vials I put them in a small zip lock bag

Comment

Been on Restasis for 3 years with great results.
                      Use each vial for 4 doses (2 days). Refrigerate using the Allergen holder and place a shot glass over it. Do not allow the tip to touch anything. I don't travel with open vials, if I can't refrigerate it, I throw it away.

Comment

Sometimes I use one vial for more than once, sometimes two vials at a time ( they somehow help clean the mucous strands and when they start coming out i need to instill more of it).

Regarding storage and contamination-- in my experience, these vials just dont get contaminated. I have been carrying them around in my bag (again because of the horrible painful mucous strands coming non stop) and when i was working even in my pocket. Open vials in the pocket of my suit.

I was also on steroids, so i would expect my eyes would notice it if i put something contaminated in them. Restasis was so resistant to contamination. No matter where i put the vials, and sometimes mistakenly used old ones been there for a couple of days, nothing happened.

I know that is wrong, and i try to be more careful with storage nowadays when i am not working. But at the time when i was so busy and ended up neglecting proper storage, the vials were still ok.

Comment

I keep using the same vial until it is empty (about 2 days).

I store the open vial in a shot glass in my upper kitchen cupboard.

15-30 minutes prior to instilling the drops into my eye, I put the vial in the refrigerator to chill it. After instilling the dose, I put the vial back in the cupboard.

Comment

Working...
                          X