This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restasis risks and downsides

What are the risks and downsides to getting on Restasis? My dry eye is annoying, but I could live with it. I want to take potential risks into account before I decide to go ahead. Thanks.

Restasis is a topical immunosuppressant. Here’s a link to some info on cons / risks on drugs.com: http://www.drugs.com/cons/restasis.html

In addition you should be aware that it takes a minimum of 3 – 6 months before any improvement will be seen. That is, IF any improvement is seen.

I have been on Restasis now for 14 months and am beginning to wean myself off it as unfortunately I have not seen any improvement. The biggest complaint amongst Restasis users is usually that of experiencing a burning sensation for several minutes after the drops have been put in. I actually never felt any discomfort from the drops at all. In fact I actually find the drops to be quite soothing – even more so than most lubricant drops.

The general consensus amongst doctors is that Restasis is safe to be on for the long term as it is not a steroid and supposedly leaves no systemic traces. But in my personal opinion, that in and of itself doesn’t necessarily mean we won’t hear 10 years from now that long term usage of it causes eye cancer. It received FDA approval back in 2002.

I certainly think it’s safe enough to give a shot. Just use it as prescribed and if you don’t see any significant results inside a year, then taper off it.

Comment

Restasis + Alrex -- advice???

Hi all - I am currently using Restasis (2x daily) + Alrex (2x daily) for dry eye. My dry eye symptoms started as a result of Lasik (Dec. 2007). I have only been using since Fri. 7/17 but I am experiencing significant burning, pain, and some bluriness. Considering that I am trying to relieve myself of these very problems, these drops collectively seem to make it worse. My questions are:

- do I continue the regimen and these effects will subside?
      - do I call the doctor who prescibed these?
      - I tried lotemax + restasis, about 10 months ago -- but some really no improvement (after about 8 weeks).

The scary question: Is there really any hope for resolving my dry eye complications after what is basically 19 mos? I am getting progressively pessimsitic and depressed over this.

Comment

Working...
      X