X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just how bad are steroid drops?

Hell folks,
    I am a new member on this forum. I posted my story but got no comments. Here I have a more specific question. I have stinging and watering eyes after 2 failed surgeries to unblock my tear ducts.
    I have found that only FML drops make my eyes feel fine, and I can got to work. Has anyone been on steroid drops long term and what are the real eye health consequences? I have heard baout glaucoma and cataracts risk, but at this stage of my life, I will do anything to get rid of the stinging, which the drops do. -Craig

Originally posted by craig9563 View Post
    Hell folks,
    I have found that only FML drops make my eyes feel fine, and I can got to work. Has anyone been on steroid drops long term and what are the real eye health consequences? I have heard baout glaucoma and cataracts risk, but at this stage of my life, I will do anything to get rid of the stinging, which the drops do. -Craig
    I have Acute Dry Eye MDG due to failed Lasik surgery. With each repeated struggle through Bepharitis I was treated with one steroid or another. Topical ointments, FML, then rubbing FML into my lids and oral steroids etc.

I was treated most recently with oral steroids. When the opthamalogist suggested another round I lost it.

Was sent by GP to a Dermatol0gist who did skin patch testing. No allergies. Conclusion: I'm addicted to steroids and my own immune system is caput.

Now I have developed recurrent Acute Ocular Lid Rosacea - dry scales and dark red swollen upper and lower lids now extending down from eyebrows to cheekbones. If I putt on a dab of a steroid daily, they start to clear up. Stop and I will start to become infected (if that's the word) within maybe 3 to 4 days. It's painful, burning, itching and embarrassing. I look like a racoon.

He gave me this - I have a copy of the whole report with images.:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...90962299701180

But after weeks of suffering my GP suggested a new eye doctor who put me on Doxycyclene 100 mg/ day for three months plus Restasis. You can't use Doxy forever. I know I can't afford Restasis which is just cyclosporine 0.05% ($8.00 a few years ago) in a caster oil vehicle. To quote Rebecca ""The vehicle for Restasis is actually [was] marketed separately as an over-the-counter artificial tear product, Refresh Endura." Endura is sold abraod, cyclosporine disappeared so that Restasis could dominate the market at $300 a month.

Here is another article that may be of interest:
    Reference: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4458660/

Avoid steroids please.
    Last edited by Max; 28-Mar-2016, 14:41. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
    X