Long term antibiotics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long term antibiotics

My doc checked me out and told me my M-glands were almost totally plugged, so this is the source of my dry eyes. He suggested that some people use antibiotics long term due to the anti-inflammatory effect they have. This would be low dose, but most likely permanent since (as I understand it) it's not actually clearing an infection.

Has anyone here gone this route? Any words of wisdom regarding bad effects of long term use? I'm trying to decide if I should do this.

Mastiff

I have been on Tetracycline, Doxycyline and now Minocycline for almost 2 years due to ocular rosacea/MGD/Blepharitis turned into crisis mode by Lasik surgery.

I have tried repeatedly to stop the antibiotics but can't go more than a month before a major flareup. So, I am currently on 50mg's of minocycline 1x per day and that's keeping it somewhat at bay though my upper lid margins still get itchy. But nothing like the full blown episodes right after Lasik and more like what I had before the surgery.

I also do lid scrubs and try and do hot packs every other day. My lifestyle and personal discipline (not the greatest) make all this effort really hard for me. If you can keep on top of the lid scrubs and heat packs, you'll probably fare better than me.

A physician on the Ask Lasik Docs bulletin Board suggested my MD start me on Azasite. I have read a little bit about it but have not yet followed up with her.

Natalie

Comment

Thanks. I found the subforum on this topic and there were a few useful things in there.

Comment

You are referring to oral antibiotics and not drops, right? Because drops are what caused my dry eye to be so horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by rubyslippers View Post
          You are referring to oral antibiotics and not drops, right? Because drops are what caused my dry eye to be so horrible.
          Yeah, oral. I'm really shying away from any Rx drops.

Comment

Working...
          X