Androgen treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Androgen treatment

I always thought androgen treatment was aimed at women. However I read the following quote about topically applied testosterone. Has anyone ever come across this and what do they think?
    Regards.

"Lipid Stimulation: Although under development at this time by Allergan and perhaps other entities, topically applied androgen (testosterone) appears to have efficacy in stimulating lipid production. There is a large and growing body of evidence that the meibomian gland is an androgen target organ, and that androgen deficiency may lead to MGD.(Sullivan 2002) One report involving one human subject has demonstrated improvement in lipid layer thickness and TBUT following 3 months of treatment with testosterone cream applied to the eyelids TID.(Worda 2001) Given that most dry eye observed in our setting is meibomian gland related, this potential approach appears to be very promising."
    Occupation - Optimistologist

Hormonal treatment for DES definitely has applications for men. One of our best-known testimonials for DHEA drops was from a guy. And Argentis are developing a topical progesterone treatment specifically for men with DES.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Rebecca, so you are saying that if women used this cream that they would not benefit?

Comment

I've known women who benefitted from DHEA and women who benefitted from testosterone. Depends entirely on their individual condition/needs. - I can't speak to the progesterone product as there isn't a lot of info on the clinical results.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
        X