Azasite -- beware!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azasite -- beware!

I have just finished up a 4-week course of Azasite, spreading the drop on my lower lids at night to try to unclog the glands. I know my dr. was trying to help, but this regimen made my dry eye so much worse. Terrible stinging upon instillation, and then this stuff sat in my eyes all night... no wonder my eyes felt so bad all morning. If I was lucky, I might have felt half-way normal by late in the day. Azasite also made my eyes terribly sensitive to cold air, inside and outdoors. I had a terrible night where I had to leave an event in severe pain because we were outside in chilly temps. I also had intermittent incidents of severe pain during the day, caused by the slightest speck of dust or irritation, that forced me to use an ice pack off and on for hours.

I've now been off Azasite for 3 nights and I feel a lot better. I think the lid massages after a warm rice baggy help greatly. I can actually feel the oil coming into my eyes. But this was hard to do while on the Azasite because my eyes were so sensitive and sore.

Just want to tell everyone to be careful of these new drugs and their off-label usages. The Azasite product info says only 1-2% of patients experience stinging or dry eye, but it seems that most people posting about this product comment on the stinging. I don't have blepharitis, so maybe it's a wonder cure for that, but for MGD, I caution you to be careful. I have just had the worst month, filled with pain and anxiety. I don't want anyone to go through what I just have.

Thank you for posting this. It is important to know of the full range of possibilities with a treatment before going ahead so seeing a variety of experiences here is very helpful. Personally I'm still really on the fence about Azasite and bleph... I've heard doctors opinions ranging from miracle drug to the latest overhyped pharma rerun.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

everyone reacts differently, it works well for me, i kind of accidently came across something else that is pretty good, i went to GNC and got this stuff call jajoba oil, which is used for dry skin, and as an additive, to your shampoo, or moisturizers. i accidently got a little bit on my eyelids, and it felt kinda good, so i just let it sit there. i am going to do some searching to make sure there is no danger involved, but it is an all natural oil

Comment

Similar Reaction

I had a bad reaction to Azasite also and I wish now that I had never used it. I was diagnosed with bacterial blepharitis at first and had used tobradex, but I didn't feel enough relief. I tried Azasite and after 7-8 days or so my eyes became severely dry. That was really the start of my dry eye.
        Last edited by itchyeyes; 26-Jan-2009, 11:55.

Comment

Working...
        X