Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are antibiotic treatments available for Blepharitis in the UK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are antibiotic treatments available for Blepharitis in the UK?

I've had a doctor tell me that I have blepharitis, he instructed me to take eye drops and to keep my eyelids clean. Except I've been doing this for almost 2 years now with no improvement. Are there any antibiotic treatments available for Blepharitis in the UK? If you could give me some names and info about any such treatments I will suggest them next time I see my doctor to see if he will prescribe them for me.

Thanks for reading.

Hi Pete

Have you heard of of Fucithalmic? That's a possibility although it can irritate the eye if used for too long. It is a viscous eye drop that contains fusidic acid, an antibiotic medicine.

Antibiotic tablets such as Doxycycline or Erythromycin are worth mentioning.

Comment

Originally posted by irish eyes View Post
      Hi Pete

Have you heard of of Fucithalmic? That's a possibility although it can irritate the eye if used for too long. It is a viscous eye drop that contains fusidic acid, an antibiotic medicine.

Antibiotic tablets such as Doxycycline or Erythromycin are worth mentioning.
      Haven't heard of Fucithalmic. Sounds interesting - how does an eye drop help with blepharitis though, since it is an eyelid problem?

Not heard of Erythromycin either but I think my brother was given Doxycycline once, I can't rememeber what for but it wasn't eye related. How do these tablets work?

Is there no such treatment that involves some kind of anti-inflammatory cream that can be used on the eyelids? If not, there really should be!

Comment

Fucithalmic

Hi Pete

How does it work? (Taken from: http://www.goodhope.org.uk/Departmen...lepharitis.htm

Fucithalmic viscous eye drops contain the active ingredient fusidic acid, which is an antibiotic medicine. It is used to treat bacterial infections of the membrane that covers the whites of the eyes and lining of the eyelids (bacterial conjunctivitis).

Fusidic acid works by preventing the bacteria from producing proteins that are essential to them. Without these proteins the bacteria cannot grow, replicate and increase in numbers. Fusidic acid therefore stops the spread of infection and remaining bacteria are killed by the body's immune system or eventually die.

This is a prescription only medicine but some people have found benefit by using chloranphenicol ointment which can be bought over the counter. Fucithalmic helped me for a good while and then it started to irritate so I had to cease using it. I cannot stand it in or around my eyes at all now.

Also see:
        http://www.agingeye.net/otheragingeye/blepharitis.php

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40025037/

Comment

Hi Dryeye Pete
          I have had really good sucess with chloramphenical eye ointment used at night only and applied with a q tip to the lid margins - You can buy this over the counter even though it is antibiotic

Comment

Thanks for your replies! Really interested in trying the chloramphenical eye ointment based on your recommendations. Would I be expecting this to sting at all?

Comment

Dryeyepete
              No it has never stung me -
              Just one caution - I found i was allergic to the mineral oil which is the base for the over the counter one known as "infectious eyes" made by Optrex

I get mine on prescription simply 'cos it is in liquid parafin/soft white parafin
              I actually find it soothing

Of course there is no reason why you should be allergic to the mineral oil
              Actually allergic may be a bit strong -- more like it irritated my eyes

The people who make the stuff I use are - Medicom and Tubilux

Comment

Working...
              X