azasite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• azasite

Is Azasite or anything like it available in the UK?
    Thanks for any responses

Hi rp123

Azasite isn't yet available in the UK. I am unaware if there is any kind of equivalent - I doubt it. Last year, I tracked down someone in the UK who had something to do with trials of Azasite - so I wrote to them to ask a couple of things -

Is it known yet if the drug is OK for long term use - treatment of blepharitis?
    When might it come to the UK / Europe.

Here is part of that response:

"........... as far as coming to Europe the company that markets Azasite in the US is quite small and looking for a partnership before it comes to the EU.............".

I put my name down on the Azasite website to be alerted when it is available in UK / Europe. So far, nothing. I think the site is www.azasite.com

Comment

Azasite is azithromycin in eye drop formulation. Perhaps there is an eye drop form of azithromycin in the UK?

Comment

No, I don't think it is available in that form in the UK

Azithromycin is available in capsule and liquid form (Zithromax) and is used to treat other infections.

Mention is made of Azasite on the NHS National Electronic Library for Medicines - so some doctors in the UK are aware of it but many are not.

Taken from Ophthalmology Times:

Inspire Pharmaceuticals Inc. announced it has initiated two phase II clinical trials with azithromycin ophthalmic solution 1% (AzaSite) to pursue a potential indication for the treatment of blepharitis. The drug currently is approved by the FDA for the treatment of bacterial conjunctivitis.

Comment

Working...
        X