This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston scleral lenses

Hi, just have a few questions about the lenses, I have extreme dry eyes, basically can't last 15 minutes in the wind due dry eye from accutane. Just wondering how long the fitting process takes, How much it would cost, how long they last and what happens if you lose them/ need new ones. Is there anywhere else that does scleral lenses or is this basically the place you need to go, an optometrist I spoke to said he does scleral lenses but i'm not sure if it would be the same thing?

You can call them and ask to speak to the new patient coordinator to get answers to questions about fitting time, costs, and insurance. If you need to purchase a replacement they can make duplicates.

(781)-726-7337

There are many practitioners around the country who fit scleral lenses and many of them are very good. The difference is that fitting sclerals is usually just a part of someone's practice and because they are working with commercially produced lenses, the ability to customize the fit has limitations.

Boston sclerals fitted and manufactured at Boston Foundation for sight where the entire clinic is devoted to the process. The lenses are a unique design with much greater ability to customize the fit than commercial sclerals. They are an FDA approved prosthetic device.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
      You can call them and ask to speak to the new patient coordinator to get answers to questions about fitting time, costs, and insurance. If you need to purchase a replacement they can make duplicates.

(781)-726-7337

There are many practitioners around the country who fit scleral lenses and many of them are very good. The difference is that fitting sclerals is usually just a part of someone's practice and because they are working with commercially produced lenses, the ability to customize the fit has limitations.

Boston sclerals fitted and manufactured at Boston Foundation for sight where the entire clinic is devoted to the process. The lenses are a unique design with much greater ability to customize the fit than commercial sclerals. They are an FDA approved prosthetic device.
      Thanks, I live in Australia so can't really call them at the moment, I think the only scleral lenses done in Australia are by from Don Ezekiel from gelflex, I saw his name on one of the forums here and contacted him and he said their lenses help with dry eye, and referred me to some optometrists that fit them, but when I saw them they said they're not for dry eye and gave me the usual 'try fish oil' speel after I already told them what I was taking/ doing already..

So I think my only option is to go to the U.S and try some treatments there.. Interested in trying IPL azasite and boston sclerals.. just trying to weigh up if its worth it which is why I'm trying to find out how long the lenses last. I read on the site it costs around $7500 to get the fitted (ouch) so I hope they last a while as I don't think i'd be able to get insurance or anything to pay for it as i don't live there.

Comment

I think you have to do annual checkups w/ the Boston sclerals. I don't know how long they last, but you will have to come to the US yearly for htat. As for IPL, its about 4-5 treatmetns to see if it helps, so you will have to fly to the US monthly, or stay here for half a year. And for the Azasite, can you find a pharmacy to specially compound it for you in Australia? It seems like so much work and money to come here just for some Azasite....which for most people, it doesn't seem like a wonder drug.

Comment

Oh, you can also email the BFS if you can't call. I just emailed them earlier this week and am awaiting their reply.

Comment

Post-Accutane looking to get Boston Scerals

Hi Alex,

I just wanted to let you know that I have extreme dry eye post-Accutane as well so I know what you're going through; I too am looking into Boston sceral lenses; my doctor said he thinks this would be a good next step since punctal plugs pretty much do nothing for me and Restasis was an absolute fail -- it's probably the only thing my body has reacted to more violently than mono; I was plagued with constant burning and sharp pains. I am really PRAYING that Boston Scerals can provide me with some relief! Are you still looking into getting scerals?

Comment

Has anyone had success with BFS scleral lenses?

I've been searching the forum, and find many people considering scleral lenses, and a few who have tried them, but haven't found anyone who has had great success and is now feeling "normal". I'm concerned that I'll go through all the time, money, and emotional investment, only to have them say... "We're sorry, we really can't help." After all the disappointments over the past 20 months, it's hard... but then most of you already know that.

Comment

Yogini, I know exactly what you mean. But it looks like you're from Boston, so you won't have to deal with the travel expenses that most people have, so that will help a lot with the time and money. Also, I've that insurance has been pretty good at covering at least some of the cost of the lens, up to the entire thing! If you've tried everything already, I think its worth it to give BFS a shot. I'm waiting on them right now...and I really hope they will take me!

Comment

Odydnys -- You have been waiting two months to find out whether or not they will take you?? Did you get a referral from your doctor and everything? That is not good news for me b/c I have been having terrible pain recently and really am hoping not to have to put my life on hold for two more months to try them (had to come from from my job b/c my eyes were hurting too much)...

Comment

Just a thought for all the folks considering BSLs:

If you haven't already, make sure you do a good solid trial of full time moisture chambers before pursuing it.
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by DryEyeSurvivor26 View Post
                      Odydnys -- You have been waiting two months to find out whether or not they will take you?? Did you get a referral from your doctor and everything? That is not good news for me b/c I have been having terrible pain recently and really am hoping not to have to put my life on hold for two more months to try them (had to come from from my job b/c my eyes were hurting too much)...
                      No, I've been waiting for 2 days actually. For some reason, I had trouble getting a hold of them for about 1 month because I wanted more info from them before I proceeded and get an idea to see if they were interested in helping me. And then, it took my doc's office 1 month to get a letter out to them because of some office mixup. That was definitely annoying. So FINALLY my referral got to them 2 days ago, and they told me it is now under review. They didn't tell me how long it would take, but I've heard it shouldn't take too long, probably about a week or so. If they decide to take you in as a patient, then they have to go check your insurance and I've heard that that wait is on average 2 months or so, it really depends on your insurance company. I hope I get lucky and all of this gets figured out very quick.

When was your referral sent to BFS?

Comment

Oh ok got it. Don't have a referral yet, but my doctor mentioned it as a possibility for me; have my appt tomorrow so we shall see. GOOD LUCK! Keep us updated.

Comment

Working...
                        X