This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Gemoules's Biometric Scleral Lens

Veterans of this site will remember Dr. Greg Gemoules O.D. who used to have a forum here. Dr. Gemoules now has a site http://www.globalrefractivesolutions.com/ where a custom made scleral lens called the "Biometric" is described.
    Has anyone here been fitted with these? I am thinking about scheduling a consultation with his office. Would appreciate any input. Thanks.

I believe Texaseyes found tremendous help with Dr. G's sclerals.

I think I remember you posting about Mass Eye and Ear's MGD clinical drug trial. Was that ineffective?

Thanks!

Comment

It think it helped somewhat. Unfortunately it was becoming cost-prohibitive.
      Dr. Dana was enthusiastic about the results of the study, but I didn't see any huge benfit.

Based on my minimal clinical signs (nearly no corneal staining) but significant pain, I am starting to think I am suffering from some kind of corneal neuralgia. Dr. Rosenthal (of the Boston Foundation for Sight) co-authored a recent paper in The Ocular Surface called "Pain without stain: is it real?"
      The short answer is that yes, it IS real, but the underlying cause(s) are not yet well understood. Thus far, Dr. Rosenthal has found that the most effective treatment for such cases is to completely isolate the cornea (and underlying nerves) from environmental stimuli. This can only be done with a scleral lens. Obviously, he is a advocate of his own design, but I would want to try the smaller and much cheaper Biometric lens first.

Comment

Hm...do you and Dr. Dana think you maxed out on the benefits of Dr. Dana's treatment, or do you think that if you kept going (w/o cost being an issue of course), you would have eventually found more relief?

Eli, I'm also beginning to think along the lines of corneal neuralgia...the environment KILLS my eyes. I also have MGD, which docs think this causing the discomfort. But now I'm thinking...i probably have both!

I am having trouble getting in touch w/ the new patient coordinator at BFS. She doesn't call me back, reply to my email that was forwarded to her by Bill Rosenthal who says they can help me, and she doesn't answer the phone. UGH!

Many people are able to get their insurance to cover much of the cost of the BFS, so don't be discouraged jsut by the cost.

Comment

Scleral Lenses with Dr. Gemoules

Hi Eli,

This thread got way off the original topic, but I am replying to your question about Dr. Gemoules' scleral lenses. I am one of the very few that has been fitted at both BFFS, and with Dr. G for scleral lenses. [deleted] My experience with Dr. Gemoules was everything that I expected and hoped to get at BFFS. You can do a search on my previous posts to read more detail. I feel very comfortable recommending Dr. G, and I personally will not go anywhere else for sclerals as long as he is in practice.

I encourage ANYONE who is serious about sclerals to contact Dr. G directly. He will answer questions BEFORE you take the plunge - he's happy to talk about his technology, because he believes in it so strongly (as do I). It's so much more effective to talk to the man himself, than to speculate. [deleted]

I also think there is a lot of confusion on this website about insurance. I can tell you that BFFS takes MEDICAL insurance, and Dr. G's practice takes VISION insurance. Even with my very good (medical) PPO, I paid a lot less for the lenses with Dr. G, and spent a fraction of the time there than I did in Boston.

If you have any specific questions about my experiences at BFFS or with Dr. G, you are welcome to email me. I wish you the best of luck.

Linda (texaseyes)
          Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 04-Feb-2010, 07:52. Reason: policy re: references to medical facilities

Comment

Let me add my two cents and put in a plug for Boston Foundation for Sight (BFS). They have been very responsive to me and my case management. As far as insurance BFS completely handled the precertification process with my insurance carrier and managed to get this approved in 3 weeks time (much less than the 8 weeks I was being prepared for). I am scheduled for early March with them, so I cannot comment on the lenses but rather only the adminstrative process thus far.

I wish everyone else luck in dealing with BFS, Dr. G., or whomoever they opt to use for lenses.

Comment

I'm just happy that Dr. G run's a facility for scleral lenses for those who are unable to or unhelped by BSL!

Comment

Thank you all for your prompt input!
                I recently took a job selling Toyotas (yeah, I'm not sure why either!).
                The days are 12 hours long, and there are going to be lots of vehicle demonstrations done outside. My eyes are not playing nice, and I need way more relief in order to keep a smile on my face for customers. May have to look at doing something else. I keep telling my family: this job would be SO EASY if it wasn't for the eyes. But sadly they, like most everyone else, don't understand...... sigh.

Anyone wanna buy a Toyota? If you have been watching the news, don't worry! We have devised a way to make the accelerator pedals not stick!
                Just kidding.
                Thanks guys.
                Last edited by Eli; 04-Feb-2010, 18:25.

Comment

Odydnas,
                  I am coming to this conversation quite late, as I am new to this site. (Just as an FYI, I suffer from both dry eye and pellucid marginal degeneration.) I am struggling with what my next steps should be, given the fact that I can't tolerate my RGP's anymore, even piggy backing them. I too am having a problem communicating with the new patient coordinator at BFS. I spoke to her at length about 10 days ago, had all my records faxed to her the same day, as she said that my case might be treated as an emergency due to the fact that I have been suffering from RCEs quite often over the past month or two. Since then, I've called, left messages, sent several emails, all to no avail. Its very frustrating.

In the meantime, I've contacted Dr. G, who has been incredibly responsive and answered every question that I've thrown at him. Have you received scleral lenses from either Dr G or BFS? Would be curious to hear your experiences if you have.

Comment

I went to Texas in Nov 2009 and got scleral lenses from Dr. G. If you would like to know more, please contact me directly.

Cheers.

Comment

I went to BFS more than once in the past2-3 years and you can also PM me.
                      Now you have all kinds of insights. Lucy
                      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by RobinH View Post
                        Odydnas,
                        I am coming to this conversation quite late, as I am new to this site. (Just as an FYI, I suffer from both dry eye and pellucid marginal degeneration.) I am struggling with what my next steps should be, given the fact that I can't tolerate my RGP's anymore, even piggy backing them. I too am having a problem communicating with the new patient coordinator at BFS. I spoke to her at length about 10 days ago, had all my records faxed to her the same day, as she said that my case might be treated as an emergency due to the fact that I have been suffering from RCEs quite often over the past month or two. Since then, I've called, left messages, sent several emails, all to no avail. Its very frustrating.

In the meantime, I've contacted Dr. G, who has been incredibly responsive and answered every question that I've thrown at him. Have you received scleral lenses from either Dr G or BFS? Would be curious to hear your experiences if you have.
                        I would have to say to keep trying for the coordinator at BFS. I had A LOT of trouble in the beginning, but once we were able to establish initial contact, she has been extremely responsive. What I was told that helped is to put my name on the Subject line of the email so she will know who the email is from. Good luck!

So far, I have zero experience with either Dr. G or the BFS (aside from the patient coordinator). A referral letter will be sent to BFS tomorrow for me, so I will be waiting to hear about the next step. Right now, I'm considering the BFS, and if that doesn't work out, then Dr. G.

What are your next steps? BFS or Dr. G?

Comment

I'm still trying to reach BFS. Going to call her again this morning and see if I can get an answer. All I want to know is if I have been approved by them for a potential fitting. If they approve me, I will go there. If not, I will go to Dr G.

Will keep you posted. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                          X