This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big is your Boston scleral?

Question for all you BFSers out there: What size scleral did you end up with? I am in 18 mm lenses for dry eye.

Can't help but wonder what a 17 mm would feel like. Or, for that matter, a 19 mm.

So I'm wondering if any of you wore different sizes during your time there and can share your experiences. Thanks, Rob

I wear 18 mm in both eyes and I think it is good because I don't feel them and my dry eye symptoms were resolved by %70

Comment

18.5mm. Only size I've ever had.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

I have an 18mm in my right eye and a 22 mm in my left eye. I have very small eyes, but my doc chose to go with much bigger lens because I have corneal neuropathy and wanted the lens to sit as far away from my cornea as much as possible. For my left eye (22 mm), my entire eye is covered and you cannot see where the lens end. You can still see the edges of my right eye (18 mm). Ideally, the bigger the lens, the farther away from my cornea, the more tolerable they should have been for me, but in the end, I could not really tolerate any lenses. A smaller lens caused instant excruciating shattered glass in the eye pain upon insertion, and a larger lens lets me wear them, usually, for a couple hours until the excruciating pain builds up.

Comment

Thanks ody. Sorry to know you went to the effort of getting them and aren't having a lasting benefit. I am in purgatory with mine. Both are 18. The left lens is fantastic. I can wear it dawn to night and it helps my vision and dry eye.

We've been through several versions of the right lens and I'm not having great luck with it. Not a coincidence, docs always say that's the eye where my lids are in worse condition. I am going back in a few weeks and trying to figure out if I should ask for a trial with a slightly larger (or smaller) lens.

I wasn't even aware some people wore two different sizes, but common sense says of course there's no reason they can't. I'm going to tell the guy who sells me my shoes that I want a 12 and a 12.5 next time ...

Comment

Lol! Actually I do wish that they sold different sized shoes, since most people's feet have an half size difference between them.

What do you have going on with your eyelids Rob? I ask because my eyelids look normal, yet they are so sensitive and burn like crazy. For example, when I remove my lens, if the plunger just so much as brushes against my eyelid, it is excruciating pain, as if I just sliced my eyelid.

I think fitting the larger sclerals are more uncommon at BFS nowadays. When Dr. Rosenthal saw my left lens, he remarked he hasn't seen one so big in years, and was surprised I was fitted with such a size. So it might be worth asking, esp if it is something the docs at BFS don't really do anymore, and it could have just slipped their mind. Doesn't hurt to ask =)

Comment

You joke, but one of the big sneaker co's - it's either Nike or NB - has a program that allows you to mix and match sizes for a 50% markup. It's not a great deal, but stiil better than buying two complete sets.

Oh, my lids. MGD. Or, "injection," as one of my too-many eye doctors likes to say.

Comment

Scleral lens diameter

Interesting topic!!
                14 months ago I bought 26mm "fenestrated" sclerals from my optometrist in Australia. They needed to be adjusted and machined down to 24-25mm for a comfortable fit but I didn't get to that stage, I aborted the program. They were very uncomfortable and an air bubble disturbed my vision, I could not get rid of that air bubble. Very annoying.
                When I first got the sclerals I was eager to fill them with saline solution to finally "keep moisture in my eyes"...but sadly the saline solution disappeared when I attempted to fill the sclerals. What was happening? I worked out the sclerals had HOLES IN THEM and the saline was leaking through. So they weren't the scleral lenses I had hoped to have received. Then I learned there are two types of scleral lenes... "fenestrated" (with holes), and "non-fenestrated" (also known as "sealed" sclerals)...

Interestingly, the manufacterer who is a respected veteran of scleral lens development assured me that the fenestrated lenses were the best choice for my dry eyes. He said they are better ventilated than the non-fenestrated (sealed sclerals) and didn't accumulate debris. Apparently the fenestrated sclerals can be worn for longer periods of time without having to change the saline in them (due to accumulation of debris)... etc...

The fenestrated lenses are easier to insert (I have found this to be true) and don't require application of saline solution. So they are inserted dry). At first, I thought, what would be the point? We need to add fluid to dry eyes!!! Yes...however, bathing them all day in saline can sometimes cause an osmotic affect and cause corneal swelling. Furthermore, if you think about it, how do "moisture chamber glasses" work?? They trap emitting body heat and retain the moisture, and they work well. In fact, I cannot live life without wearing my moisture chamber glasses, they are the only thing that works. I apply drops and they are evaporated from my eyes within minutes (tried every product available including FreshKote). I still use artificial tears, but have to apply my moisture chamber glasses to maintain the affect and prevent too much evaporation.

Therefore, the fenestrated scleral lenses, without needing to apply saline solution work like moisture chamber glasses. Their large diameter cover more of the sclera (white part of the eye) and thus less surface area of the eyeball is left to dry up and cause symptoms.

........... that is my explanation of "fenestrated" scleral lenses. I had to abandon them due to the air bubble created and a desire to try the "sealed" scleral lenses. Unfortunately, in Australia we do not have a manufacturer who makes large diameter 'sealed' scleral lenses. We can only obtain the sealed "mini-scleral" lens at 16-18mm diameter. My biggest concern was they cover less surface area and leave exposed sclera to the elements. However, I was surprised to read on this forum section that many of you have 18mm sclerals... so I am now hopeful that the sealed "mini-scleral" lens may actually work for my severe dry eye problem.

I have an appointment with my optometrist next week for a trial set of mini scleral lenses. I am to keep one of them on my worst eye for five hours and see if it makes a difference. If it helps, we'll order the custom made mini sclerals. I look forward to it!!! Not needing to wear moisture chamber glasses will be a relief. I have permanent indentations under my eyes from wearing them and the soaking of the foam with artificial tears onto my skin has caused aging of the thin skin around my eyes.

Will keep you all posted.

Comment

size

Mine are 18.50 mm

Comment

Working...
                  X