This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston Scleral Lenses and Inflammation

I think Dr. L. missed my question again... not sure if anyone here will know the answer to this, but thought I'd try anyhow!

I am wondering if the use of these lenses can help to reduce overall inflammation on the eye, therefore possibly allowing tear production and MG function to improve over time due to less inflammation.

Or do they tend to have a net effect of increasing inflammation in the eye to due the presence of this foreign object? (and therefore potentially making one worse off in the long run compared to other treatments such as artificial tears and moisture chambers)

Thanks for reading!

I guess it shud bring the inflammation down, Because there is a liquid bandage between cornea and lense..Also it will keep eye surface protected from rough eyelids.

May be thats why BSL r known to ease the pain and soothes eyes.
    Really need to be a ROCK to take the pain!

Comment

I have been having eye pain the last few days and thought I had an erosion in one eye so I went to a different optometrist today who fits scleral lenses per his website and he also does research studies on dry eye.

I asked him if long term use of sclerals could make dry eye worse. I believe his response was if they fit well and don't irritate the eye then it won't. I should also add that he does not believe that regular contacts make people have dry eye after the contacts have been out of their eye for a while. But, he does believe regular ones can dry out people's eyes when they are wearing them.

I also asked the optician there about moisture shields and forwarded Saag's pics and blog to her as well as the eagle vision website. I am waiting to hear what she says.

Comment

The inflammation question.

It probably depends on what is causing the inflammation/dry eye. Since I have Sjogren's, anything I put in my eyes seems to attract the inflammation response---that's the deal you get with Sjogren's----inflammation flare-ups.

Calli

Comment

Working...
        X